Author Topic: Do we need a field?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
Do we need a field?
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
Over the years I have attended several AWGB seminars and a number of other, single-interest, events and the most obvious difference, it seems to me, is the fact that seminars are always centred on hotel-type accomodation whereas the others have at least offered the option of delegate camping. Now I am fully aware that some of you will have had your eyes glaze over at the thought of sharing a field with things that go bump in the grass but what of the others who, like me, are perfectly willing to risk nodding off to the pitter-patter of raindrops on tent or caravan roof in order to wake up to the dawn chorus. Not to mention the fact that the cost of seminar attendance might be halved by taking your own accomodation either in the boot or on the towbar.
I wonder therefore:-
How many others share my interest in both turning and open air living?
Does the new seminar venue have a suitable field we could use?
Failing that is there an alternative nearby that might fit the bill?
Is there someone based closer to the new venue willing to undertake a little research on the subject on our behalf?
Brian Hollett

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Do we need a field?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
There is a campsite in Meaford, just about half a mile north of the Yarnfield/Stone road, which is about as close as you'll get for the conference centre.
Lakeside tavern camp site....http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=8452
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
Thanks for that info Les. I was hoping for something more inclusive to all interested parties rather than a single pitch for myself. Perhaps the site you mention has a rally field where camping 'Woodies' can pitch in together to chew the fat over the seminar's day's procedings and whose car they might share on the morrow. Meanwhile non-turning spouses might be considering what they might do together while we are away. There are a lot more, less obvious, advantages to delegates camping together than a first glance might suggest.
We don't yet know, of course, if there are any other interested parties so perhaps a single pitch might be sufficient after all...
All the best
Brian

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »
Once upon a time, yes. Now I think I prefer the warmth and comfort of the great indoors. :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?