Author Topic: carved vessel  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
carved vessel
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
A sycamore vessel with leaf decoration carved with a dremel with a dimpled and ebonised background - this is the first time I've tried carving so I thought i'd have a go on a piece I had discarded due to the shape so I know the vessel is wrong but the learning curve was something I enjoyed so the next one will be on a ball shaped pot

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: carved vessel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
not a bad start as its your first carving.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:00:43 PM »
Well done for trying something new and especially for learning from it. My personal preference is for the style of carving used on the leaf of the lid, rather than the body of the vessel.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
Seems like a lot of work to create something that in my opinion is quite ugly and totally lacks any finesse

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »

Not going to mention the shape Tony ...... But may we suggest painting the whole piece one colour..... then
    highlight the leaves using  very little dabs of gilding cream or verdigris wax to highlight and uplift the leaves.
    As this would perhaps give it a more delicate look....... Good Look With The Next One
    Kind Regards .... Di & Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
Tony,

I agree with the shape of the form but well done on using it for experimentation.

I like the leaves on the lid, those around the bowl don't work so well for me due to the texture work on the palm of the leaf, that is possibly a step too far.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
Thank you all for your comments and I agree, by the time I had got to the lid, I think my carving technique had improved a lot.  I agree with the texturing on the leaves around the side - they looked good when I first started, but I think it does detract from the finish.  But that's what a practice piece is for and I have learned so much from doing this.  Overall, I have learned a lot.  Regards, Tony