Author Topic: salopettes  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
salopettes
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:14:16 PM »
I thought is was a couple of years ago, but a quick search showed I posted a one line comment about salopettes 4 years ago, so to share an idea against the cold.

Some years ago I bought a pair of salopettes (skiing trousers) from one of the cheap supermarkets, they were not very expensive, certainly less than a good pair of work trousers. I also see them in Charity Shops quite regularly as well.

In the recent cold snap, I've dug them out and have been using them in the workshop.

• Advantages: Outer layer is a hard wearing material, they have a elasticated cuff around the ankle to keep the snow (wood shavings/draughts) out. They will fit over ordinary trousers (or thermals) if you need them to and are lined with a thin but effective wadding, so are really nice and snug in the cold.
  • Disadvantages: They have a waterproof layer in them, so if it does warm up a little, they can be more than you need.

For anyone suffering in a cold, draughty workshop /garage / shed I'd seriously consider investing in a pair.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: salopettes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
....on the other hand.....I do a lot of winter hill-walking, so have a thermal base-layer which I sometimes wear if it's below freezing and I'm turning green timber.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: salopettes
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »
I also used my ex-ski salopettes in the workshop until their untimely demise. I then had a quiet word with our Mr Lidl who kindly furnished me with bib-and-brace overalls. Worn over my jeans I have found them more than warm enough and, if anything, more comfortable than the salopettes. I would suggest that its not the depth of insulation around the aging pins that make the most difference but the high 'waist' overlapping a long jumper-smock combo.
Merrily Chrimbo and Preposterous New Ear everybody
Brian