General Category > General Discussion

Deep Bowl Gouge; handle too long ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bryan Milham:
One problem I found with Record Bowl gouges is the flute is very narrow. And as such they don't like to be ground with swept back wings (if you understand that) the flutes fill and jam with shavings.

Stick with the basic 45 to 50 degree straight grind.

But also see my other post to you.

Nige7:
Thanks dr4g0nfly. Yes happy with the technical terminology and grinding and yes I have noticed that the flute on the Record gouge does jam up with shavings.  I'll take a look at some other gouge makes and compare flutes.  Im going along to the Norwich woodturners meeting this Friday and will take a look at what people are using there :)

Many thanks again

Nigel

BarryMobbs:
Hello Nigel,
 Why don't you bring your gouge with you on Friday. I will be bringing some of my tools for the demo, so we can see how our grinds compare.
  See you Friday.  Barry

Nige7:
Wow, Thanks Barry. Yes will see you Friday :)

Nigel

Roger Groom:
Hi Nige7
One thing you can try, to get over the bed bar problem, is to remove the tailstock and slide the banjo and headstock to the right hand end of the lathe, and as long as you have room at the end of the lathe, you can stand face on to your bowl and the bars will not foul the tool handle. I read you are coming to our club on Friday. Make yourself known, Barry and myself are up front, so to speak, on a skills night. Look forward to meeting you.
Roger G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version