Author Topic: Ornamental hollow form  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
Ornamental hollow form
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
I wanted to create a piece that combined colour with carving.  This piece has an ash body, ebonised and coloured with iridescent paint, the dome is spalted beech, the fan finial is Dremel carved from Guarera Bosse and the stand is ebonised, bent wood ash. c and c welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ornamental hollow form
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
I like everything that you have done with this piece but personal taste I would perhaps not had that finial on it, for me a step too much? As said, just personal taste.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
Sorry Tony I do not like this for me there are too many elements that just don't gel together.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
I wanted to create a piece that combined colour with carving.

Tony , You have achieved this , Its your design your thoughts your work , Well done you  :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
Just as a matter of interest why have you printed that sentence in bold and underlined is it because somebody has dared to have a different opinion than you. ::)
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
Opps look like I have upset you   :D ???

Why

Well I did not want to copy the entire post using the Quote button , My answer was relating to the original posters aims for this piece and to make the text different to the OP text I made it bold and underlined , can't see a problem myself
Seems the problem is with you not liking my comment that is different from yours 

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
I like this piece overall,a couple of tweaks might help.ie; thin the fan finial a little more to make it look lighterand maybe more piercing,the other thing is the stand,I think it would probably look better with a thinner wire.metal stand,so the piece is showing more,just my thoughts though,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
I do quite like the piece, it is certainly a departure from the usual. Design is obviously something very personal, so all opinions are entirely subjective. In my case, I think the wavy crest on top of the lid is too big. It dominates the rest of the piece. If it were two thirds or half the current size, I think there would a better balance.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Hello Tony....I've been watching this thread with some interest, and can quite understand the variety of views and opinions.
I can see many fine attributes in this, but i can also see a slightly discordant note; almost as though some of the elements compete against each other rather than harmonise with each other.
I agree with the comments made about the finial being a little too heavy, but I also feel that the ring in the stand is a bit heavy, and that the lid looks a little heavy sitting proud of the walls of the vase.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »
Thank you all for your comments - The idea for this came from an Art-deco cocktail shaker which had a large linier fan which I changed to a wave and I agree that the stand could be improved but overall I like the out come of the piece and it was never doing to be everyones cuppa tea but I feel it is something different and once again thank you for your comments

regards, Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »
Hi Tony

For me also the finial seems to over power what is truly a stunning hollow form ( I assume it's hollowed) the colours look great and combined with the clean wood lid I love it

Ed