Author Topic: Bandsaw shennigans  (Read 5631 times)

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Re: Bandsaw shennigans
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
Hi George.

With respect, if you are trying to highlight incorrect information perhaps you would identify which information is incorrect. While I am the first to admit I lack experience, I am reading posts here that contain advise which has been used in most of the You Tube clips I have seen. In the absence of a local joinery firm having the resources to help me, I can only rely on the time honored method of seeking solutions and that is to ask questions. This forum is a repository for decades of collective wisdom on woodturning and the ancillary equipment employed to facilitate completion of our various projects.

God bless
Derek
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
I have nothing further to add I think I would be wasting my time

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
Saline man, point taken about other equipment too and I totally agree.

The 1mm of play in the back bearing is a worry, there should be no play at all. May I suggest that you attend to that first. It may be the simple case that you have a slightly wrong bearing fitted, is it a second hand machine? The different measurements at the top wheel, the wheel is canted in or out at the top to throw the blade backwards of forwards on the machine. This is normal but the measurements may not be, again you need to find what is suitable for your machine.
As the AWGB H&S co ordinator I can say that we are not allowed to tell you how to rectify the problems just the steps that you could go through to identify the problems. So guidance not advice basically.
Be safe.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
Axminster tools do a one day course on how to use and set up a bandsaw - I know its a bit of a trip for you but might be worth it.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
Saline man, point taken about other equipment too and I totally agree.

The 1mm of play in the back bearing is a worry, there should be no play at all. May I suggest that you attend to that first. It may be the simple case that you have a slightly wrong bearing fitted, is it a second hand machine? The different measurements at the top wheel, the wheel is canted in or out at the top to throw the blade backwards of forwards on the machine. This is normal but the measurements may not be, again you need to find what is suitable for your machine.
As the AWGB H&S co ordinator I can say that we are not allowed to tell you how to rectify the problems just the steps that you could go through to identify the problems. So guidance not advice basically.
Be safe.

Hi
Thanks for the pointer! I'll give Conway saws a ring on Monday, they have the back roller for £26. The saw was bought second hand. I've just taken the table off and found that whoever had assembled it in the first place had stripped one of the securing bolts by forcing it in on a wrong thread, at this point I believe it prudent to check all bolts etc. to make sure there are not more surprises! Guidance is all anyone can ever give when commenting remotely, and it is received in the spirit it was meant. God bless.

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
I have nothing further to add I think I would be wasting my time

Regards George

Not true George, you have been around the block and know more than I do. My point perhaps was not well made. If someone points out to me that something is wrong, it is only natural for me to know what it is that is wrong.

God bless

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
On these Forum's very often you get the Blind leading the Blind and as for Utube I have seen a lot of bad advise even what I would call dangerous advise at times.
My advise is as always if you are not sure and where machinery or safety are a factor go to the professionals.
There is sure to be a joinery shop near you or a pro woodworker.
If they did not have time to go to your workshop I am sure they would show you how to do it their bandsaw.

Regards George

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 04:45:34 PM »
George.

Thought I'd give you an update!

I removed the table and found one of the bolts had been put in on a wrong thread and was sitting unevenly. This prompted me to suspect that there may be other faults. I removed the top wheel and found the shaft had not been seated securely and full of crud. This is removed and reseated. The adjustment collar on the lower wheel, comprising of 4 opposing bolts with lockouts, was skewed. I removed the lower wheel and cleared the crud out. Refitted the wheel and balanced it using a long straight edge ensuring both wheels were coplanar. Fitted the blade and tracked it. Adjusted upper and lower guides as per advise received. I did a test cut and checked for drift. I then ran some 80mm x 80mm pine post through it and was rewarded with a beautifully uniform piece of veneer a constant 1mm along its length. I then fitted the 1/4" blade and was able to cut some tight circles in 25mm  beech worktop. I stopped the saw to admire what I had done. Turning on the saw a second time produced a humming sound and an acrid smell! The capacitor was banjaxed!

So, not the result I wanted, but at least it's now setup. Need to get a back roller and capacitor on Monday. Given that I was lucky to get a £1200 bandsaw for £350 I can't really complain.

Hope the weather down there with you is more clement than here, snowing all afternoon.

God bless.

Derek

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Well don Dereck you have done well.
The weather here is quite mild.
About 30 years ago when I was lorry driving I was in Scotland at the end of June for a couple of days and it snowed all the time I was there.

Regards George

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
To all who offered help and advice, thank you.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
Glad it turned out well, Axminster power tools sent me a capacitor very quickly when mine broke, just saying.

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 11:59:21 PM »
Ordered one on fleabay for £7. Good job an acquaintance is an Electrical Engineer! Hopefully get it fitted next week. Looking forward to posting images of my first bandsaw boxes with turned knobs. God bless