Author Topic: Red Oak-but no red  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
Red Oak-but no red
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »
just finished this wee thing. It's a piece of Red Oak that I've had lying about for a bit now. This piece measures about 6" x 4" roughly and has been coloured with Chestnut stains.

C & C's welcome as usual.
Rgds  Gary

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Red Oak-but no red
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:28 AM »
Nice profile, but is it a vase or a box? The central hole suggest the former, the appearance of a joint line in one of the photos suggests an inset lid and I just can't make my mind up.
What I do like is the ebonising of the open grain before the colour was applied.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
Nice profile, but is it a vase or a box? The central hole suggest the former, the appearance of a joint line in one of the photos suggests an inset lid and I just can't make my mind up.
What I do like is the ebonising of the open grain before the colour was applied.
Les
Hi Les,
I suppose it's a bit of both, a vase and a box (maybe a base or vox). I had a few queries at my club recently from some of the more mature members, lol saying that they would love to make a hollow form but can't afford to buy a hollowing tool on their pension. So I done one of these (done a fair few now).
You are correct in saying there looks to be a join line around the top as this is in theory a lidded box made from the one piece of stock. The lid however is glued on so it won't come off.  The slightly raised lip on top is meant to be there, just enough to stand out but not too big.  I think I saw a H/F done by Ray Key many years ago with a slightly similar top, although I'm sure his was a true H/F.
Due to the price of hollowing tools and the current average age of "Fred in the Shed" as someone put it, lol this is a nice wee topic to complete at a club night/demo.
Glad you like the ebonising in the open grain, the top started out all black but looks better rubbed back I think.
Cheers for you comments always appreciated.

Rgds
Gary

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Very nice , I like the minimal use of colour it works very well on this piece

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
Gary, The colours you've added to this piece without overpowering the original grain of the oak bring it to life, it's almost like looking at the reflection of a rainbow in a dark pool.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »

The grain lines up well on this Gary ... Like the contrast between the light colours and the plain top.
                Works very well.
                Kind Regards
                Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »
many thanks for all the kind comments.

Rgds  Gary