Author Topic: Coloured box  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Coloured box
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:43 PM »
Not done much in the way of turning lately.
This is a piece that I started at the beginning of the week but went wrong a couple of times and had to repaint it. The main pod is Ash and the ring stand is cherry. The wife thought I was making a lemon well with all the problems I felt like one.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Re: Coloured box
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
Good work Derek. It is frustrating when things go wrong and many an expletive can be heard coming from my workshop. However more often than not I find that when things don't work out I learn the most for the up coming pieces.

You have highlighted that there were issues with this piece but you continued to produce a pleasing box. It is also refreshing to see you being honest about it not going to plan and yet still having the courage to post and explain this.

Hope you are well and I hope to meet up again in the near future. Keep up the good work.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »
Looks like a considerable amount of work went into making this , Well done

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »

Interesting concept Derek.... Like the surface colour , looks almost textured..... Well thought out and presented.
     Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Thank you both

Interesting concept Derek.... Like the surface colour , looks almost textured..... Well thought out and presented.
     Kind Regards Tony di

Good work Derek. It is frustrating when things go wrong and many an expletive can be heard coming from my workshop. However more often than not I find that when things don't work out I learn the most for the up coming pieces.

You have highlighted that there were issues with this piece but you continued to produce a pleasing box. It is also refreshing to see you being honest about it not going to plan and yet still having the courage to post and explain this.

Hope you are well and I hope to meet up again in the near future. Keep up the good work.

Yes I agree about learning from mistakes, this time was a case of trying something new for the club competition which went wrong so had to resort to a technique that I had done before. That will teach me not to leave it until a week before the competition.

I am still not happy with the base as I feel it could have been a bit more open to be able to see some of the bottom without having to lift it off of the stand.

Hopefully see you again in September

Kind Regards Tony di

Thank you. There is a slight texture to it which is quite pleasing to the touch

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Cracking colour range on that, Derek, and I think that the contrast in colour and texture, between inside and outside, adds bags of interest.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
nice box Derek,these things are sent to try us aren`t they,but all`s well in the end,maybe you can pierce the base to show the bottom of the box at a later date,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
Thank you Les and Eric.

nice box Derek,these things are sent to try us aren`t they,but all`s well in the end,maybe you can pierce the base to show the bottom of the box at a later date,cheers,

Eric.

I have some more of the cherry so will be making another base and try to pierce it to see how it looks as that part will not take too long, nothing to be lost by trying

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »
A little velvet cushion or some-such and I see a ring box that any lady would love to receive or own.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
A little velvet cushion or some-such and I see a ring box that any lady would love to receive or own.

Never thought of that maybe on the next one, thanks for the comment