Author Topic: Replacement/upgrade Banjo  (Read 6993 times)

Offline pointer2null

• iron
Replacement/upgrade Banjo
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
I've recently become a woodturner - it's something I've always wanted to try so about 3 months ago on the spur of the monent I bought a second hand lathe. It's an old draper WTL90. Seems ok. Motor is a little underpowered but for a beginner it's enough. BUT the banjo is a pile of c***.

So I've tried googling a replacement for it, but banjo is an awkward word and I either end up with musical instruments or tool rests.

So, is the a Banjos 'r' Us website somewhere?
How do you find replacements/upgrades for these sort of items?
And even - are they standard sizes or all custom to the original lathe?

Although I've seen a lot of lathes on you-tube and google pics that look identical to the draper so I guess they are a badged make.

P2N

p.s. I'm not quite as good as some of the other beginners, but have attached a few pics of the things I'm made so far...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Replacement/upgrade Banjo
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »
Just so that we're clear on this, is it the case that it's just your lathe's banjo that is rubbish, and that you need a direct replacement.....or is it the case that all WTL90 lathe banjos are rubbish, and you need a better make to replace it with?

There's a whole host of bed-bar layouts, so most banjos will fit just the lathe/model range that they were designed for.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
From memory the WTL90 is drapers version of the Axminster CCL lathe so if you cantact them they should be able to help.   I used one for many years without problems what is wrong with it?

john

Offline pointer2null

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:04:04 PM »
Everyone says there are loads of replacements - but I've never found anyone selling them.

Persoanlly I think the Draper banjo is naff - if you allow the tool rest to drop to it's lowest height it sits on the cam that locks the banjo making it difficult to tighten. But forget the DTL. I'm just trying to find somewhere that sells after markets ones.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
This is a risk you take when you buy second hand better to buy new from Axminster a very good hobby lathe is about £300  00 with a five year Guarantee.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline pointer2null

• iron
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
I get the impression that while everyone says there are places to get an aftermarket banjo, no one actually knows any.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
You haven't actually said what is wrong with the Banjo.
Tell us and put a picture up and tell us where you live.

Regards George

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
I get the impression that while everyone says there are places to get an aftermarket banjo, no one actually knows any.

Hasn't John Taylor said about contacting Axminster?
regards
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
Everyone says there are loads of replacements - but I've never found anyone selling them.

Persoanlly I think the Draper banjo is naff - if you allow the tool rest to drop to it's lowest height it sits on the cam that locks the banjo making it difficult to tighten. But forget the DTL. I'm just trying to find somewhere that sells after markets ones.

Right with you now yes the banjo on that range of Chinese lathes is crap I had the same problem on the Axminster version and it is a pain.  As mentioned in a post above the size of each banjo is specific to a particular lathe or range of lathes so no there isn’t a banjos R US store as far as I know.

There is a workaround that I used which is to buy a second tool rest and cut a bit of the bottom of it so that I could have it low and still move the banjo without having to lock and unlock the tool rest. I did cut the original one to a shorter length but then it wouldn’t let me raise the tool rest when I wanted it high, hence the second tool rest.

The second option is to take your banjo into a supplier, an Axminster shop would be best, and try it against the new range of lathes they have to see if one will fit.

Hope this helps and I like the items you posted.

john

Offline pointer2null

• iron
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
Tried Axminster before.

Enter a search on Axminster for 'Banjo' and you get

5 x Lathe
3 x tool post
1x Tool Table
1 x Hamlett Hollowing Gate.
0 x banjo

Manually finding the lathe accessories section is about the same - umpteen tool rests and other bits, but 0 banjo's.

Guess I'm stuck with the naff Draper one.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
You could always buy a proper lathe

Regards George

Offline pointer2null

• iron
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
Soon as I win the lottery I will ;)

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Axminster dont list parts online but if you can get into a store they should be able to help

john

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »

Pointer Where do you live I am sure someone near would help you or direct you to the nearest retailer that could help you with your problem

the suggestion George (GBF) made is put some pictures on this thread it might make it easier for us to understand your problem. ???

Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
It is a pity Members don't put up more info about themselves Location Etc because if somebody was local to me I would be pleased to help if I could and I am sure other Members would.

Regards George