Author Topic: elm hollow form.  (Read 2902 times)

Offline wider

• gold
elm hollow form.
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »
this elm hollow form is 4"x3 1/2" and a wall thickness of about 3mm. the hole was in the timber to start with just had to take it easy and tried and get the wall thickness just right.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: elm hollow form.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
Like the overall shape, the wood is gorgeous but the hole looks unnatural to me. I am all for making things with natural holes but they have to look natural and to me at least this doesn't. If doing another one, after turning the outer shape wrap in industrial cling film tightly before turning the inside, helps to keep it firm and safer.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »
thank you for that Peter. the hole isn't natural as to  speak. it was a bit of timber in my shed that had a bit of decaying timber in that area and thought I would use it for  practice to see how I was going with thickness and I am happy with this.

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:05 PM »
Nice shape - well done. Elm is always so beautiful. I get the above comments re. the hole - perhaps carve it to a geometric shape ? - perhaps a flat diamond ?
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »
I would have liked this if it never had the hole I think it is imposable to create a hole and make it look natural.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:57 PM »
thank you for the comments. the hole wasn't put in intentional just powdered of as I got thinner.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
Ignoring the hole, very lovely shape and terrific finish.  Definitely a very successful practice.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
I Like the shape and the choice of timber , Looking at the size it could be used as a salt dispenser with a small in the kitchen

Nice  :)

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
thank you to every ones comments I hope that you are seeing a change in my turning since I started posting on hear as your comments are helping me. I just need to get the form and finish to meet and then possibly move on to the colouring side of things.  I know they are a few on hear that I inspire to so thank you all.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
Your turning has improved greatly on this piece the form and finish look good if you do another one the same without the hole it will be very close to perfect.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
thank you George I do intend doing another one and hope to get it as perfect as you say so look out for it. going to try and get a nice bit of yew to turn.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
I think you were a little on the brave side to even attempt this turning so close to the growth layer of the elm. Not surprised you lost the timber from the hole looking at the spalting that is still visible.

But as said above, the shape of the form is damn near perfect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »
well I had luck at the club tonight and got a 24"x7"x7" yew log so will be trying again with at least I lump of it. I got it cut to 2 at 7" long and 1 at 10" as there was a inclusion in this one and hope to use this in the form.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
I have desired that this form needed to be mounted so here it is.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
Hi Dennis,shame about the rot and hole,but the turning is good,nice form and well finished.
welcome to my woodturning world