General Category > General Discussion

Sanding Sealers

(1/2) > >>

Nige7:
Looking at Sanding Sealers there appear to be three main types differing in the solvent they use. I am wondering what advantages or disadvantages there are between the cellulose, acrylic/water and Shellac based sanding sealers.  They appear to be about the same price and I can only guess that the choice is related to what you are going to put on afterwards, wax oil etc.

I've tried a web search but haven't found the usual plethora of helpful sites!  Any ideas please?

Nigel

Bryan Milham:
I think it's also a matter of counties regulations. I don't think you can get cellulose based SS in Australia. The fumes etc not being good for you - it's already been removed from our car industry to some extent.

Other than that it's a matter of choice and drying time.

Nige7:
Thanks dr4ag0nfly.  I had an idea and took a look at the Chestnut.co.uk website as their products appear to be commonly available.  Their site is OK and describes their products in some detail but something I did notice is that many products seem to be suitable for the same things rather than having a clearly defined use.  I guess this is because history and tradition have shown that many naturally occurring products produce similar results.  Down to the individual to try something and see how it goes !  Im sure I saw somewhere the comment that you can spend as much time finishing a piece as turning it. No surprises there then :)

Dave Atkinson:
Hi Nigel

I use cellulose sanding sealer and I let it down about 25 - 30% with cellulose thinners.

I brush it on and wipe off the excess with kitchen towel.

when it's dry I cut it back with webrax which I prefer to wire wool.  if you haven;t come across that yet it's like a nylon pan scrub.  Chestnut sell it around 31 a piece and i cut mine into 8 and it lasts for ages.

Cheers Dave

Nige7:
Thanks Dave, I'll look that stuff up :)

Nigel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version