Author Topic: Fun with pine  (Read 1927 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Fun with pine
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
A short while ago I received an enquiry through my website, for some big candle holders (1m tall). After a few emails the customer settled on two designs, and now wants 6 samples (3 x 1m tall, 3 x 600mm tall) in 3 sets of different finishes (matt black, gold and white wash). Ultimately this looks like it's going to be an order for any one of those, and a quantity anywhere between 20 and 50.

So I got myself some pine and started turning. Although it looks like your average spindle turning, the sheer size is a bit of a challenge. And the knots in pine are a pain in the backside. Luckily enough these will be spray painted, so a little wood filler for those bits that just flew out won't be noticed.

Clearly work in progress, at the moment I am laminating all the various bits for the feet and candle dishes, more pics to follow.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Fun with pine
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Sounds like a good commission....by the time yopu finish that lot, you'll be able to use a skew!  ;)
Do you have a good source for the candle cups/spikes at the tops?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Well, I am sort of OK with the skew already. I have decent sources for some of the stuff, but from what I hear not all venues are licensed to have open candles lit inside, and in consequence many people go with battery powered electric candles (in which case I don't need a spike or cup). I'll find out more once the samples are finished and we start discussing details and prices.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
For larger candle pillars like these I have made my own plates or spikes in pewter. Personally I don't sell any t lights or candle holders of any sort without some sort of insert. Always some idiot who will put a live candle into the wood and at the end of the day it could come back at you. .

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
Sounds like an interesting challenge that you'll thoroughly enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing more as the task develops

If you do go down the pewter route, I'd buy plate pewter (readily available) and cut to shape, the trimmings you can melt and reuse for other projects.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
sounds like an interesting project,I hope all goes well for you.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »
Well fuzzy the production turner these look pretty good.

By the time your finished you won't be sort of ok with a skew your be a grand master of the skew  :)

All the best

Ed