General Category > General Discussion

Help for a new boy !

<< < (2/3) > >>

woodndesign:
Hi Bob, an welcome to turning and the forum, I'm with Dr4g and Brian on this one, 1st in what way do you want to go with your turning, bowls, hollowform or spindle work, all of it, along those lines Brian is right in you should start with one of the lathes you have, should both be working, you've not said nor as to what models you have, short bed, long or bowl lathes..  get started, learn as to what you'd like to do, (pens can be turner on a large lathe just as well, but larger forms can't be as well on a small lathe) then you'll find out as to if you'll still want to carry on with it, that love it kind ... ;D ..  then chose as to which to do, re-build, sell both and buy new, as has been said a well setup Graduate can't be beat, you'll spend alot more on something new to get something as nice.  It's working out what you want to do and if you'll stick with turning in the end, with the Graduate you've a far better chance than on a lesser lathe, where most have found turning to be difficult or have other problems, as in another post, as too the Record tool post ..
Wish you well with what you do in the end, what ever it is enjoy, it should be fun, take care and be safe at all times.

David

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hello Bob2lathes ;D
                       Congratulations on your retirement, now the real work can begin! Do not be put off by all of the advice you will undoubtedly receive now that you have started turning. My advice is this:-  For the time being keep both lathes, a bird in the bush etc..... for now do not worry about variable speed or anything technical like that. Get yourself decent drive centres and a chuck and some good tools and just practice,practice,practice. Make anything that comes into your head,one of the ways to improve your turning is set yourself goals,say,turn 100 light pulls, stick to a few designs and keep going until each one is good.Start small and work your way up. I spent hours and hours just practicing beading and coving and it paid off. Join a local club and consider taking lessons, the AWGB has a very good development program. Talk to local turners and do not hesitate to ask the "stupid" questions, we've all asked them before you that's why we know (some of) the answers. Think about taking lessons to show you the basics and the safety bits.I have a variable speed option on my graduate but very rarely use it I tend to just change the belt most of the time. Think how the old fashioned turners used to earn their living without all the fancy stuff that we have today and it will give you a leg up in the thought department. Most of all, enjoy the learning process.
Regards
John BHT

Bryan Milham:
Something else that we should have said earlier, join your local club.

It's probably a bit far to Maidstone (the nearest AWGB Affiliated group) for regular journeys from the Isle, but Stiles & Bates in Dover should be able to point you at a nearer group.

You'll learn faster from like-minded people than you will alone and probably find someone to take you under their wing when you need a bit of personal help. You'll also get to see (and inspired) by the demonstrators that will be brought in to some club nights.

Andy Coates:
It's shame Kent club (at Aylesford) is an hour from you as it's a very active club with a full programme and a lot of seriously skilled turners. However, you may find through here or S&B as already suggested, a member who will either take you under their wing, or even car share to save the cost of an 80 mile round trip. I think you'd find it very worthwhile. And if you can make their february meeting i'll be demonstrating there so come and say hello!

Kent club can be contacted here:

KENT WOODTURNERS   (East)
Secretary: David Cheesman,  Kent, 
Telephone: 01622 880615

E-Mail:  thewoodturner@talktalk.net

Meetings:  1st Tuesday evening and 3rd Saturday all day of each month

Venue: The Brocard Room (next to the Pottery) The Friars, Aylesford, Nr. Maidstone, Kent

happy amateur:
There is a very active club Orchard Woodturners at Milstead Village hall Sittingbourne
www.Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version