Author Topic: Face plates  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Face plates
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
For larger pieces of work which ideally require a face plate over just using the screw thread or even the jaws to hold work, would a faceplate such as the Robert Sorby which fit into the 2" jaws or one that is a direct thread to the headstock shaft be best for say an 18" piece of work and 2 1/2" thick and roughly balanced.

The Robert Sorby would be more use to me but I would like to be safe at the same time.

I hope that makes sense

I have never had the need of a faceplate in the past so it is about time I invested in some

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Re: Face plates
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
I use the Sorby faceplates and find them excellent.  I've turned large out of balance lumps 18"+ diameter with no problems.  I have a number of both the small and large ones and use them all the time.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »
I use the Sorby faceplates and find them excellent.  I've turned large out of balance lumps 18"+ diameter with no problems.  I have a number of both the small and large ones and use them all the time.

Thanks for that sounds like that is the better way for me to go then. The problem with fixed thread faceplates is you need to re buy if you change lathes. Not that I have any plans at the moment but you all know what us turners are like ::)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Hi Derek

I've turned some large platters on the Sorby face plates and they have been fine.

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
Hi Derek

I've turned some large platters on the Sorby face plates and they have been fine.

All the best

Ed

Thanks Ed will have to give my local supplier a call some old geezer I think you know him ;D