Author Topic: Anyone know what this wood is?  (Read 4840 times)

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
Anyone know what this wood is?
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »
So.... at the woodturners club I won third prize... a lump of what I thought at a distance was a fence post🙁🙁🙁

But it wasn't... that been said I am not sure what wood it is...

I have turned a bit of it into what turns out to be a T light  holder although maybe on reflection it should have been deeper...never mind

Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Anyone know what this wood is?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »
Sapili or one of the Mahogany substitutes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Looks like the sapele I've used as well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
3 votes for Sapele

And at the risk of opening up the old chestnut....please use a metal or glass fire break between the tea light and the wood.

Cheers
Rick

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »
3 votes for Sapele

And at the risk of opening up the old chestnut....please use a metal or glass fire break between the tea light and the wood.

Cheers
Rick

Seconded. I have seen wood badly charred using t lights with no insert.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:56 AM »
that is not sapele.

i'm not 100% sure what it is without more details like weight, smell and hardness but i can say for sure that it's not in the entandrophragma genus.

it looks a bit like some spanish cedar (cedrela odorata) i've seen and if it's a lightweight wood it may well be that.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/spanish%20cedar.htm

http://www.wood-database.com/spanish-cedar/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
I agree it is not Sapele. Not sure about Spanish Cedar either though. Looking at the white flecks I'd have thought it was one of the Mahoganies.

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
Ekci ?

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »
Well I feel much better knowing that it's not just my inexperience that makes me not know...😀

Even those that do know are debating...

All good fun...

Kevin
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:04:12 PM »
Well I feel much better knowing that it's not just my inexperience that makes me not know...😀

Kevin....do you have any idea how many thousands of timbers are commercially available worldwide?
To make a reasoned assessment, any knowledgeable person would need to see a well taken, macro photograph of the end grain as well as longitudinal grain, and at a reasonable magnification (...say, x10). Quite frankly, few of us have the slightest hope of identifying a timber from a photograph such as the one you have given us. If you really need to know what it is, we'd need a lot more information. Steve (seventhdevil) does seem to be about as well clued-up as most of us, but we can work, only with the tools that we are given> Give us crap tools and you'll get a crap answer.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
Ekci ?

http://www.wood-database.com/ekki/ Don't you love Google? Never heard of it either

Pete

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
In case you guys haven't latched on to that already, Steve (seventhdevil) is a major contributor to that website (wood-database.com) and its database of images and information about useful timbers, and he's probably the one guy on this form who knows most about all these species. Not saying he's infallible, but he really is pretty good at identifying wood.

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »

Kevin....do you have any idea how many thousands of timbers are commercially available worldwide?
To make a reasoned assessment, any knowledgeable person would need to see a well taken, macro photograph of the end grain as well as longitudinal grain, and at a reasonable magnification (...say, x10). Quite frankly, few of us have the slightest hope of identifying a timber from a photograph such as the one you have given us. If you really need to know what it is, we'd need a lot more information. Steve (seventhdevil) does seem to be about as well clued-up as most of us, but we can work, only with the tools that we are given> Give us crap tools and you'll get a crap answer.

Les

Ohhh well that's me told off .... must sign up for a course in Photography ... or maybe not will just go in the workshop and have fun with unknown woods ...  :)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
In case you guys haven't latched on to that already, Steve (seventhdevil) is a major contributor to that website (wood-database.com) and its database of images and information about useful timbers, and he's probably the one guy on this form who knows most about all these species. Not saying he's infallible, but he really is pretty good at identifying wood.

i still can be left guessing by some timbers i get my mits on...

here is my contribution so far.
http://www.wood-database.com/about/#steve

i have another box of samples nearly ready to go hopefully by the end of the year. most of them you will have never heard of but they are all commercial timbers in different parts of the world.