Author Topic: Laburnum Branch  (Read 1931 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Laburnum Branch
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:16:33 PM »
Hi All,
A branch has recently dropped off our old laburnum. Most of it is less than 3" diameter but I hate to see good wood go to waste. I'm wondering if it will be much good for a few smaller project, boxes, chess pieces etc. I've chopped a few sections and it seems to have survived the last month outside in the pile quite well, still very green (and yellow and brown  :) ). I've PVA ed the ends just in case it will be useable. Do you think it will be useable? Is it best to strip the bark on small bits like this?
As always, your advice is warmly appreciated!
Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Laburnum Branch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
Keep the bark on...the moisture needs to leave the timber slowly and stripping the bark away just accelerates drying and promotes cracking. It might also pay to give the ends another coat of PVA...anything that regulates the drying will help. A 3" diameter log is going to take a couple of years to dry out, but you need to accept that a wood like laburnum is very prone to cracking, so a high percentage of waste could occur. If you get a major radial crack (from pith to bark) you can always ripm the branch along the crack. That give 1 1/2" thick pieces which are still usable for light-pulls, key rings and loads of other small projects.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
Chances are whatever you do it will split. Ideally, if you have the patience, follow Les's guidelines if not part turn green and then seal and it will dry quicker though may still split.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
i do a variety of thing with laburnum but have found the best results to come from two ways.

leave it outside (but somewhat sheltered) for years to fully season it, or i have left it for 6 months and then turned all the sap away and then sealed the ends with a couple of coats of pva. if it's big enough then removed the pith.

i have lots of laburnum i am trying to get shot of if anyone is interested.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
Or turn a small hollow form with an even wall thickness and cross your fingers!! :)