Author Topic: Meini Hirion - Standing Stones  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Meini Hirion - Standing Stones
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
I have been invited to make a submission to very select little gallery in North Wales, as a part of an exhibition of the work of regional artists. If our submission is accepted, we’ll be displaying our work at the gallery throughout the month of September, so fingers crossed.

Given that the exhibition will be featuring a broad spectrum of artists I decided to make some purely aesthetic, sculptural pieces and settled on a few sets of Meini Hirion, or standing stones, the shape of which has been inspired by the groups of standing stones seen throughout Wales, and many other countries of Celtic heritage. The timber used was all locally grown and partly seasoned, the yew was felled a few years ago and was the driest of the three, whilst the cherry and the laburnum were both felled about a year ago.

They vary in size, with the tallest of the yew trio being 53cm, the laburnum at 42cm and the cherry at 42cm.

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
Re: Meini Hirion - Standing Stones
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
I have been invited to make a submission to very select little gallery in North Wales, as a part of an exhibition of the work of regional artists. If our submission is accepted, we’ll be displaying our work at the gallery throughout the month of September, so fingers crossed.

Given that the exhibition will be featuring a broad spectrum of artists I decided to make some purely aesthetic, sculptural pieces and settled on a few sets of Meini Hirion, or standing stones, the shape of which has been inspired by the groups of standing stones seen throughout Wales, and many other countries of Celtic heritage. The timber used was all locally grown and partly seasoned, the yew was felled a few years ago and was the driest of the three, whilst the cherry and the laburnum were both felled about a year ago.

They vary in size, with the tallest of the yew trio being 53cm, the laburnum at 42cm and the cherry at 42cm.

C&C always welcome....Les

These are beautifull Les-will they be displayed as one large group ? I particularly like the Laburnum,and am pleased to see it as I have a large piece to collect from a friend.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
These are beautifull Les-will they be displayed as one large group ?
Thanks for the comment....my guess is that if they are accepted, they will be split into 3 groups to avoid any confusion. Exhibits will be for sale at the gallery, so grouping all 9 items together could cause a few misunderstandings.
I particularly like the Laburnum,and am pleased to see it as I have a large piece to collect from a friend.
Laburnum is great timber to work with, but the tree almost always suffers with decay of the heartwood, which was clearly in its early stages in this log. If, when you get your log you find that the heart is rotten, split it into half or quarter logs and seal the ends. You'll still get some splitting, but it's the best way to maximise the amount of usable timber that you'll get out of it.
Les

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
Hi Les,
You should impress them with these.
I like all of them especially the yew set.
Regards
Ken

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
Thank you, Ken.
Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
Sets of three always look good, also if they do split they would still look good and in character.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »
Great idea Les and the piece's look great :)

Hope they go well.

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
You've done similar before Les, but I do like the Laburnum ones, the grain replicates the patterns in standing stones very well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!