Author Topic: Lathe face plate stuck on Charnwood Lathe W824... any suggestions?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline NickB

• iron
Hello!

So I recently bought a Charnwood W824 Lathe and started wood turning, all was going well and pretty happy with the purchase.. until I started turning a bowl

my problem is that the face plate is now stuck on the lathe, I have a spanner which fits the face plate but there is nothing else to create force the opposite direction/hold/fix and stop the motor side from spinning around when I try to loosen it. I've watched videos and seen solutions, tried lubing it up but it won't budge and everything else part of the spindle/motor is circular.. hence nothing to put another spanner or something on. It does have an index system, which locks.. but is not strong enough to hold it and is now missing a few teeth as they snapped off...

The only thing I can think of is possibly drilling a hole somewhere sensible so I can put a piece of metal bar in to act as another lever..??

ANY suggestions would be huge help!

Thank you!
Nick

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
Re: Lathe face plate stuck on Charnwood Lathe W824... any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
Hello!

So I recently bought a Charnwood W824 Lathe and started wood turning, all was going well and pretty happy with the purchase.. until I started turning a bowl

my problem is that the face plate is now stuck on the lathe, I have a spanner which fits the face plate but there is nothing else to create force the opposite direction/hold/fix and stop the motor side from spinning around when I try to loosen it. I've watched videos and seen solutions, tried lubing it up but it won't budge and everything else part of the spindle/motor is circular.. hence nothing to put another spanner or something on. It does have an index system, which locks.. but is not strong enough to hold it and is now missing a few teeth as they snapped off...

The only thing I can think of is possibly drilling a hole somewhere sensible so I can put a piece of metal bar in to act as another lever..??

ANY suggestions would be huge help!

Thank you!
Nick

If you read the Manual you will see that the Indexing pin is also a Spindle lock-lift and rotate.  Manual is available at https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/midi-woodturning-lathe-with-indexing-w824/category_pathway-154

Hope that helps,

Mike

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:58:42 PM by bernuk1 »

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
try heating the face plate threaded section with a hot air gun/blowlamp. Might expand enough to free it.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
I have a large rubber strip wrench similar to an oil filter wrench, google for images. This is great in these situations and gives a huge purchase if you get one large enough. I think you may be able to fabricate something similar. I got it when having trouble when I had a threaded headstock, sometimes chucks would get "tight". On my VB36 its a thing of the past due to the bayonet fitting but I keep it as it is a handy bit of kit. You will still need to lock the headstock somehow, the smaller Axminster lathes had a pin you inserted to lock the shaft, perhaps something similar could be fashioned.
Best of luck
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
looking at the lathe it appears to have a spindle lock knob on the top. Does yours not have this?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
Something you might try. Screw a piece of wood across the faceplate and give it a sharp crack with a hammer in the undo direction, I know the shaft will move too but it might just be enough to loosen it. If not, clamp 2 pieces of wood together and drill a hole in them the same diameter as the drive shaft, move them apart and plane the faces where the half hole is. Postion them on the shaft and cramp them together firmly, now rotate until the wood is levered against the bedway. A couple of bolts on opposite sides of the face plate will allow a lever to be placed. Try it, you never know. Once you have got is all sorted I suggest you place a washer made from gasket material permanently on the drive shaft, that should prevent it happening again.
I hope this helps.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
looking at the lathe it appears to have a spindle lock knob on the top. Does yours not have this?

That's right-reading the manual ,available online, if you lift and rotate the Index Pin it is also a spindle lock.

Mike

Offline Richard S

• iron
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
It appears Nick has already tried using the Indexing/Locking Knob but it is not man enough and appears to have been damaged in the process.

Richard

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
That makes me wonder what he did to that bowl blank? I do fairly large bowls on my lathe, up to 20" diameter, which also creates a fair amount of torque, and I have a 2HP motor, but I have never had any serious problem getting the faceplate or chuck off after that. So tell us, Nick, what happened there? Maybe that'll give us some clues on how to undo it.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »

I have had quite a lot of Woodturners complain about Charnwood Lathes and their lack of quality in their products this may not be the case in this instance have you tried contacting them for help?

Regards John
John Smith