Author Topic: Gouges with removable tips?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
Gouges with removable tips?
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
Ok, I am new to this but I keep seeing gouges with removable tips, what are the pro’s and cons and should I buy them as I am a born again Turner after a long absence.
Bought my lathe on Saturday off this forum but don’t have any gouges yet.
Michael

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Gouges with removable tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Hi...are you sure that you're seeing gouges with removable tips? I suspect that what you've really seen is carbide tips, which fall into two types, those that cut and those that scrape. The type that cut are usually circular, shaped a bit like a thick washer, with a bevel extending around its edge and a dished shape on the upper face....these are usually used for hollowing. The type that scrape come in a range of sizes, the most common being tear-drop scrapers, but also diamond, square and circular. All of these have a slight bevel on the edge and a flat top face.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
Carbatec have replacable tips that some Aussie and New Zealand turners use. Not seen them in the UK though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »
Personally I buy kit with the least amount of gimmicks, that way it lasts longer and you get better value for money.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Personally I buy kit with the least amount of gimmicks, that way it lasts longer and you get better value for money.

Yes I would second that, also I can imagine the fafage and time taken to change heads would soon have the tools rendered useless and up for sale. just get good quality, basic gouges, they will last a long time and be better value in the long haul.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
So many 'gadgets' on the market. Far better to become proficient with the basic tools before spending on tools and equipment that may at best decrease the time it takes to make something but won't increase your skill level. Half the fun in wood turning is working out how to do something and perhaps designing and making your own tools(safely). Also a lot cheaper in the long run.

Pete

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
Oh how easy it is for salespersons to turn newbies' heads toward the latest 'MUST HAVE'.
Oh how difficult it is to convince some newbies that only practice, practice and then a bit more practice can show the way up the woodyturning ladder. Now if someone cleverer than I could only put bottles of practice on Dragon's Den........

Micheal, treat yourself a quality spindle gouge and parting off tool. Get practicing with those ready to start making handles for the rest of your tool kit as and when you need them (all the tool makers sell unhandled tools but not all dealers will stock them because they don't look so pretty on the shelf). Saves money as well as giving you a leg up the ladder.
All the best
Brian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
So many 'gadgets' on the market. Far better to become proficient with the basic tools before spending on tools and equipment that may at best decrease the time it takes to make something but won't increase your skill level. Half the fun in wood turning is working out how to do something and perhaps designing and making your own tools(safely). Also a lot cheaper in the long run.

Pete

Could not agree more I would say that a good 85% of my work is done using basic tools

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 05:52:41 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and yes I will stay with HSS gouges
Michael

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 06:06:29 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and yes I will stay with HSS gouges
Michael

You might get some comments that certain other types of steel are better. May be right too. Fancy gadgets are best left alone to start with at least but worth listening to those who use the newer types of steel.

Pdete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
I still tend to buy the old carbon steel tools that you see at car boot sales and the odd tool shop. Nothing wrong with them at all, far superior to th ground off files or reground carpenter's chisels we used to use before the days of HSS. Indeed one of my favourite skews is carbon steel, a joy to work with you just have to sharpen them a bit more that's all.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:07 AM »
This is not new down under the tips are held in place by CA  and Wood-cut sells them, made from HSS
https://www.woodcut-tools.com/store/c25/Bowl_Gouges_and_Tips.html

There is a new product on the way with the tips made out of Tungsten Carbide. I was fortunate to review a 10mm bowl gauge tip. I only received the tip and hand t make a bar etc for it

I must admit as it was my first time to use 'a glued on tip' I was a bit apprehensive. Although they have been around for several years and many here swear by them.

The performance was outstanding it was thoroughly tested on 4 hardwood species some with a fair amount of silica. This included a 40cm fruit bowl with no dramas the tip held in place at the end of a rather long bar and tool handle all up around 75cm long.

How they are held in place with the glue is by a small tenon around 1.5-2.0mm high, 6mm dia and you glue that into a similar recess in the bar. I left it overnight  and got stuck into it late afternoon the next day.

For those who might be interested, I can post the review, subject to Admin approval.