Author Topic: Soome times you just can't win.  (Read 2194 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Soome times you just can't win.
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
I have an Axminster lathe I bought new twenty years ago, and the Bristol levers were made from plastic, and unsurprisingly the broke after a year or two. I went on ebay and saw some with cast alumimium levers. ihad to wait for a month for the chinese postal system to deliver them, and I tried to fit them only to discover that the whilst the threads throughut the machine were metric, the one in the banj and the tailstock were Whitworth, and the same was true on my second Axminster lathe. So I now have three spare 8mm Bristol levers!
Ron

Offline JohnHewes

• copper
Re: Soome times you just can't win.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:27 PM »
I bought some of these aluminium ones on eBay, they broke too!
Now I use a 14mm spanner on the shaft.
If anyone has a source of good ones, I would like to know, please.
John

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:48:31 AM »
My local tool shop sells metric Bristol locking levers by Trend and Record.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:41:33 AM »
Axminster themselves do excellent alloy levers, https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-locking-lever-male-m8-x-40mm-alloy-953471 not as cheap as the eBay stuff, but solid and well made.
I've never understood why Axi don't use these ones on their own kit. They are SO much better and add an air of quality to any machine they're fitted to.

Getting Bristol levers in Imperial is trickier and a lot more expensive. WDS (http://www.wdsltd.co.uk) do a very small selection.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
Have you considered drilling out the Whitworth thread and re-tapping with a metric thread that you can get a Bristol lever for?

You don't say what the size of the Whit thread is so I'll assume 3/8th, so even if you have to go to 12mm, you can get a Helicoil inset set quite cheaply and bring the size down to 10mm again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:32:11 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
I was thinking of smashing off the old plastic parts and aralditinga wooden knob on, better than searching through the shavings every time a want to move the tool rest
Ron