Author Topic: More Spheres  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
More Spheres
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
Some more hybrid spheres, advice on photographing please, bear in mind I only have an I pad.  :-X
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: More Spheres
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
Photography....my first advice would be to do something about the background. It's never good to place your cherished work of art against something like a cooker to photograph it. A roll of lining paper is very handy, just tear off a length. Sellotape it to the tiles in the kitchen and let it drape down and over the worktop, then you'll get a plain background in a continuous curve, which reduces the background to as-near-to plain and uncluttered as you can get without spending lots on it.....in the trade, they call this an "Infinity curve".
As for light, get plenty of light behind you, so position it with your back to a window. If you use artificial light, that's fine, but beware big white glares on the surface....you could try reducing these by holding a sheet of printer paper above/in front of the sphere, so that some light passes through it and is diffused, which will cut down on glare and on shadows.
Hope this helps...
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Lol, the cooker top is not and ideal backdrop is it..... Hadn't even cleaned the bacon butty mess off.......

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
I made up a simple area to take my photo's, fortunately, I managed to get a 10ft roll of photographic backdrop paper which I cut down to fit a portable clothes rack. I just keep using the same piece until it gets dirty then cut it off and unroll the next piece. Don't leave it in sunlight as it yellows it.
Photos of my set up and camera as well as an example taken with it

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »
I made up a simple area to take my photo's, fortunately, I managed to get a 10ft roll of photographic backdrop paper which I cut down to fit a portable clothes rack. I just keep using the same piece until it gets dirty then cut it off and unroll the next piece. Don't leave it in sunlight as it yellows it.
Photos of my set up and camera as well as an example taken with it

Cool. I think I need to make more effort to showcase my stuff..........

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »
Forgot to add that my set up is in the conservatory so great amount of light I also wait until the afternoon especially when the sun is shining otherwise you end up with harsh shadows.

Forgot to add great turning on the spheres

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »
What a lovely piece.
Only photography to comment on - I use a light tent from ebay. It takes up lots of room but the results are excellent with even lighting especially if you can get a non-creased background which are also available on ebay
I have used FotoFuze - a free online programme to simply take out your background in the photo below.. It will only produce one colour backgrounds in shades of white to black through grey so I have blackened yours. to get a white /grey background you need to start with a light background to the original. Hope this helps
Kind regards Nick
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:49:08 PM by Nick Simpson »
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
That makes a huge difference, thanks for all the advice, I will have a play with lighting and backgrounds. I like the software difference between the two images.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
There must be a market for these....

.... I can see a tall, dark, handsome blah, blah, blah

Photography not withstanding, great work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
Put a flat on one part, make a brilliant paper weight, and people collect them.