Author Topic: off centre textured bowl.  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: off centre textured bowl.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Much gentler on the eye. The green disc adds interest without overpowering the rest of the turning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »
I'll go along with that, a definite improvement...the studs work well with the texturing.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
what i lack is the artistic fines.
Whilst the internet can be a fantastic source of simple technical advice and solutions, getting good advice on artistic issues isn't so easy, especially so for three dimensional art like wood turning or sculpture.
There are precious few contributors in forums who will take the time and effort to write detailed and helpful critique on complex artistic issues. As we've seen here it can often be misunderstood and taken offence at. It's difficult for commenters to know whether the person asking for comments is simply after some positivity to boost their confidence or if they want a full blow by blow examination of their work and are prepared for a properly critical assessment. Even in face to face situations this sort of artistic critique can be painful and it's easy to cause offence, just watch programmes like the Big Painting Challenge or the Great Pottery Throw Down to see how even experts can get it wrong.

Three dimensional work like turning presents an extra challenge as much of it's impression on a computer screen will depend on how well it is photographed and it's tactile quality can be very difficult to imagine.

i decided to remove the beads and re turn another disc. they are just laid in place at the moment but hope this is better than i initially did
It's better in places. I don't like the stars, I think they devalue and distract from your craftsmanship on the actual turning. The plastic disk is better than the purple geometrics as it's more organic patterning is more harmonious with the figuring in the timber, but it's not a choice I would make.

For me, and I know this isn't very fashionable at the moment, but I like my woodturning to be just that, made of wood. If you're determined to copy Nick's work I'd like to see it enhanced by just using a contrasting timber for the additions. You wouldn't need much, but a dark contrasting timber of a similar tone to the darker figuring in the main piece would be ideal. Something with tight fine grain that would take a high gloss finish to contrast with the texturing would work well; Walnut, laburnum heartwood or even an exotic like Wenge or African Blackwood.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
I fully support just about everything APH said in his post. In addition, can I point out that small things have a big impact.
Example: the dimples in the area between the rim and the bowl are meant to be confined by the burned lines. But if you look close, they are not. There are places where the intrude into the black lines, and in one picture you can actually see some dimples hitting the inner rim.
Also: the green cabochon is most definitely an improvement. However, it wants to sit smack bang in the centre of the space between inner and outer rim. And it doesn't. In fact, the small circle defining the circumference intersects with the inner burned line.

You may say these are tiny details, and shouldn't distract from the big picture. Well, yes they are small details, but unfortunately they do distract.
Where comments and criticism are concerned, always remember that in order to get it right and know why you got it right, you first have to get it wrong.