Author Topic: Union Graduate lathe  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Randal1607

• iron
Union Graduate lathe
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »
I have the chance to buy a Union Graduate lathe locally which has had an inverter professionally installed.  I understand an inverter converts the motor from a 3 phase to a single phase system which will then run on a domestic electrical supply.
I have a 1/2hp lathe which is fine but I am looking for something with a bit more power.  I think the Union Graduate has a 1 HP motor.
It comes with a face plate, centres, a chuck and two rests.  There are some woodturning tools along with the sale although I have enough tools.
I am told the lathe is running well but I have not yet got a chance to go and see it.

The asking price is £850.

I would be grateful for advice.

Many thanks

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Union Graduate lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
Old design , For the money you could get a better lathe

What length turning do you require ?

A lovely Woodfast lathe on that web site , big capacity diamiter wise  :D but its a short bed version

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
I would suggest that if it is in good condition and the chuck is a scroll woodturning chuck then that is a reasonable price. As far as age goes they go on forever.

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline Randal1607

• iron
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Many thanks for the information and advice. 

As far as I know it has a 300cm bed but I think I will have to go and see the lathe.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
Randal my main lathe is a Union graduate. They are good lathes and go on forever. The only complaint I have with mine is the bed is too short for the type of work that I sometimes have to do.Mine has a phase convertor which allows me to turn the speed right down  and also allows the lathe to run backwards in needs be (I hardly ever use that) You may have to consider raising it up before you bolt it down (which I would advise doing)  I raised mine by 4" but it shouldhave been 6". Changing speed is easy and because it is an old machine everything slides nicely and without effort. In my opinion it is one of the best lathes ever made, if I had a choice between a modern machine and mine I would still choose mine.
I hope this helps.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »
I remember using these at school and if I could afford it would happily have one now. Good solid durable reliable Old style british quality.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities