Author Topic: Chuck key  (Read 2360 times)

Offline eeng21

• iron
Chuck key
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
I am working with a men’s shed group called Repair Shed in Hemel Hempstead and we have been given an original super nova chuck with shark jaws to use on our donated lathe, a graduate.
Unfortunately the chuck key is missing and I cannot buy a replacement as they are obsolete.
I have contacted Teknatool in New Zealand but they cannot help and do not even have a drawing.
The key is a t shaped one with a joint at the bottom to allow it to be used slightly off centre.
My question is - does anyone have a key that they could part with please.
ATB Bruce

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Chuck key
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
First, congratultions on starting a 'Men in Sheds' group.

I think to nova chuck has a square key and a 1/4" drive socket bar ighat fit or possible file something down to fit.
Hopefull some will have one
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »
Can you describe the portion of the chuck that the key fits into. Is it a shape (square or hex is normal) or is there a toothed cob visible inside.
A photo might help if you can get a shot that shows things clearly enough.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
I remember reading something a short while ago about someone who is going to make some, might be worth exploring the internet a little bit more. If they are the same as mine there will be a hole about 18-20mm diameter in the outside casing and a blind 6-8mm hole in the inside casing with a toothed drive in between. Have a word with an engineer, should be able to make one.

Offline eeng21

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »
BHT - you describe it very well. It has a unique shape to the geared section, just hoping that someone might have a redundant one

Offline eeng21

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Cannot get photo for a day or two, but will post as soon as I can - thanks

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I have one of the Supernova chucks you describe, along with its key. I can't let you have it permanently but if you wanted to borrow it so you could approach an engineering company to make a copy, I would be happy to loan it to you. Let me know if you want to do that, and send me your address.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:35:33 AM »
The Toolpost seem to be looking into making a batch https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-toolpost/your-woodturning-store-needs-you/1521371174578106/

Not an immediate answer I'm afraid, but hope for some spares sometime.

Offline eeng21

• iron
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
Thanks chaps, just spoke to toolpost who now have a sample chuck and key and their design dept are working on making substitute keys, might be a few weeks though