Author Topic: Heritage Crafts Association - Job vacancy  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Heritage Crafts Association - Job vacancy
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
The Heritage Crafts Association has a Job vacancy for an Endangered Crafts Officer, half week hours - http://heritagecrafts.org.uk/hca-vacancies/

Of more interest is the list of Endangered Crafts it lists - we are one of them - http://heritagecrafts.org.uk/redlist/list-of-crafts/

Just thought I'd drop this here - comments or thoughts.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Heritage Crafts Association - Job vacancy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
The Heritage Crafts Association has a Job vacancy for an Endangered Crafts Officer, half week hours - http://heritagecrafts.org.uk/hca-vacancies/

Of more interest is the list of Endangered Crafts it lists - we are one of them - http://heritagecrafts.org.uk/redlist/list-of-crafts/

Clap trap....given that the magazine "Woodturning" is the best selling craft magazine, bar none, in the world, I'd say they are talking rubbish.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »

Clap trap....given that the magazine "Woodturning" is the best selling craft magazine, bar none, in the world, I'd say they are talking rubbish.

Les

Did you read the write up on woodturning by clicking on it if not have a look HERE

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
Did you read the write up on woodturning by clicking on it if not have a look HERE
...to be honest, I didn't...my comment was based on the fact that any organisation could consider woodturning to be an endangered craft. However, I followed your link and read the text....they're talking clap trap! Confirmed!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:00:55 PM »
...to be honest, I didn't...my comment was based on the fact that any organisation could consider woodturning to be an endangered craft. However, I followed your link and read the text....they're talking clap trap! Confirmed!

I agree 201 to 500 hobby/amateur turners I think they need a recount

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:04:08 PM »
I've just emailed them and told them that they are talking clap trap....it might be interesting to see what response I get.
Les

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:18 PM »
just one of the facebook groups i am in has 2901 members and there are plenty more groups.

i agree with les that they are talking a load of balls...

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »

how in the hell is joinery on this list????

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
Amusing to see that the reporters surname is Carpenter, most interesting part of the rubbish he wrote!
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
As mentioned earlier, I have written to the people who compiled the Red List and we have exchanged a few emails, the latest of which is copied here, with their permission.

Hi Les

Aha, I think this might be partly a misunderstanding. Though we've got woodturning on the Red List doesn't mean we think that it is in endangered. It's in the most viable category, alongside things like knitting which is done by hundreds of thousands if not millions. We know that woodturning is amongst the most healthy crafts in the UK. The intention was to assess all crafts, rank them by their level of endangerment, and then do work from that to move as many of the endangered ones as possible into the viable category through support, awareness raising etc. Maybe we need to explain this better on the website!

These figures though estimates are useful and will help me a great deal when I come to update this in September.

Best wishes
Daniel

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
So it's on the endangered list, but it's actually not endangered. Is this another version of "alternative truth"?

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
No not alternative truth it is miss spoke

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »
Some rather harsh, uninformed comments on a well intentioned if under-informed charity. I should state I am no apologist for the HCA but read up on them before dismissing them as bovine excrement merchants. Maybe start with their annual report, easily accessed via their website. From what I see they only have one employee (maybe an admin assistant?) and their financial turnover is way below those of the AWGB; no overpaid executives! Predominantly run by volunteers although they have some big names in their fan club. I personally have a beef with some aspects of the HCA but a vibrant organisation like the AWGB should support and help educate them rather than poke them with a pointy stick. If more of the crafts they highlight had as half the oomph that woodturning has, the world world be a better place!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »
I think you will find that the AWGB as an organisation does support the HCA.

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
That's good to hear BHT. I wasn't aware of that. What form does the support take?