Author Topic: Bandsaw problem  (Read 3776 times)

Offline David Corden

• iron
Bandsaw problem
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Hi
I have a Draper BS350C bandsaw with a collapsed thrust bearing in the lower blade guide block. Draper kindly sent me 3 bearings foc but they apparently do not do a complete guide block with the bearings assembled.
My problem is that I haven't the faintest idea how to remove and replace the ruined bearing, I have already drawn blood in an uneducated attempt. I have attached a photo of the complete assembly.
Can anyone offer advice please?
Thanks
Dave

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Bandsaw problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »
Hi David and welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your problem from here but you can bet your boots there will be a competent engineer at your local club whether that be a woodturning club or a general woodwork club. Perhaps if you let us know where you are someone might be able to assist.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Hello Dave

It looks like the grub screws hold the knurled screws in place which in turn hold the bushes in place.

Once you remove them, you should be able to undo the knurled screws although it might need a little persuasion. The knurl bit of the screws can be held with pliers if necessary. Perhaps a bit of WD40 may be needed or some gentle heat.

If that does not work, you could try contacting Draper again. Sounds like they have given you good service by sending you the bearings FOC so may be able to advise you further.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
Hi both and thanks for the quick responses.  The knurling is on the end of the shaft which carries the bearing.  It turns freely, rotating the bearings with them. That is how I adjust them in and out against the blade.  The bearings appear to be a pressed fit and I can't for the life of me work out how to get them off the shafts.

My local club is Axminster woodturners so it may well be a call there.

Thanks again both

Dave

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
Dave I am not sure about this but to get bearings off of a shaft in the past I havr placed them spindle down across the jaws of a vice or 2 lumps of wood. Put a centre punch in on the shatf and dress it out with the hammer (Ie Hit it hard with something heavy) If you cannot see the end of the shaft  I would, in extreme cercumstances drill a small hole in the side face and hit it with a parallel punch through the smll hole (which needs to be smaller than the shaft.

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a possible way forward - I had already thought about a big hammer but not in the same way!!!! 😬😬😬

Off to the vice then.

Cheers

Dave

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
You could also try and locate a local engineering club (the folks who build scale model railways from scratch and the likes). They will have all the tools and experience needed for a job like this.

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:20 PM »
Thanks for that, I never thought of a club for engineering buffs, but why not?

Cheers

Dave

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:42:09 PM »
Is that this bit of metal between the bearing and the left side of the housing some sort of retaining clip? Try removing that and the grub screw to see if it's possible to withdraw the shaft.

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:40 AM »
Hi Paul
Sadly no, that is one side of the collapsed bearing.  Thanks anyway.

Dave

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
Check the grub screws, take them out and look to see if there is another one on there. Sometimes a second one is fitted as a lock screw
Ron

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
Thanks Ron. The shaft turns freely but can’t be removed because the bearing is pressed on there - good thought though.
Dave

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
You may find that a gentle heat on the inner race of the bearing then rest the casting on something to support it, the support will need a hole in it just slightly larger than the shaft. Make sure all screws are released. now gently tap the shaft out. Before proceeding with this just check that the bearing shaft does not have any steps in it which will dictate the direction that it will need to be tapped out.

Take all of the above gently as the casting looks like it is cast which if handled too roughly could break. The idea of heating the inner race of the bearing is to expand it and let it be knocked out easier(hopefully ;))

As someone stated above a rough idea of the area that you live in might help if there is somebody who could help
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:49:51 PM by Derek »

Offline David Corden

• iron
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »
Hi Derek
Thanks for the advice, I'll get the blowtorch out together with the vice. I'm in Hemyock which is on the Devon/Somerset border. I put an enquiry to a local engineering club the other day - just waiting for someone to take pity 🙃
Dave

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
You are only trying to heat the inner race otherwise everything else will also expand