Author Topic: glue  (Read 1728 times)

Offline davej

• iron
glue
« on: June 22, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
HI
Which glue for fixing wood  handles to wood tankards  ( sycamore )
Ta

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
No easy answer here I'm afraid.

What sort of handles (I know they'll be wood) but do you want to fix them at just 2 points (top & bottom) as in a C shape or is the handle a D shape, with a full length against the tankard side.

I'd suggest the D shape and it will give a greater glue surface and one that will be long grain to long grain.

You'll need a waterproof glue, so either a Polyurethane glue, like Gorilla or a waterproof aliphatic like Titebond III. But I would suggest that either will still need to be reinforced with a couple of through pegs or a metal strap around the tankard itself.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
Polyurethane will be a nightmare to clean up when cured becase it hardens in gobules difficult to remove in tight spaces. I have used Titebond 111 for years without issues. Also Titebond have a range of glues to suit about every situation, worth checking out.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
I agree with the comment about clean up issues. But if I have to choose a glue that will have to survive in damp or wet conditions it is my go to glue.

I tape off any areas that need protecting from the squeeze out/expansion and once everything is set it does cut away quite easily.

It has the ability to penetrate into the fibres and form a strong bond I don't think even Titebond can achieve.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline davej

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »
thanks gents, the handles are c shape, the tankards are just for decoration so no liquid in them,  will give Titebond III a go, whats the shelf life of a pot once opened.
Dave

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »
about two years