General Category > General Discussion

Mulberry wood

(1/3) > >>

willstewart:
I have acquired some Mulberry wood - what we would call 'black' Mulberry I think (the fruiting one as opposed to the 'white' Mulberry used for growing silk moths).  Discussions are a bit vague but say it is good for turning though there are comments about the yellow sapwood darkening quickly - though these are US comments about 'Red' Mulberry which MAY be the same as black.

Anyone with experience here?

seventhdevil:
mulberry is excellent for turning once dry. the sapwood is white not yellow and can be the start of splits. if it is a largish chunk the it will split if not rough turned now and still may split anyway. mulberry is renowned for wanting to split.

the golden yellow heartwood will darken to brown within a few years if left in the sun. there is a good exposure difference at the bottom of this web page.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/mulberry.htm

David Buskell:
Will, I have turned a few pieces of mulberry - local trees from a nearby private residence, so good provenance.

Turns well and takes a good finish. Punters also like the colour and so it tends to sell well.

David

Bryan Milham:
Good and strong in spindle form as well, I make lace bobbins from small offcuts.

willstewart:
Thanks for all the comments!

The heartwood already looks fairly brown - but it is said to darken quite fast.

Again this is presumably black Mulberry - is that what you have used?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version