Author Topic: Mulberry wood darkening  (Read 1704 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Mulberry wood darkening
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
A brief report on (not terribly successful) efforts to prevent fresh yellow Mulberry wood from darkening using uv-protective coatings

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Mulberry wood darkening
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Excellent research, thank you Will  :) Your findings match my experiences of using mulberry. Actually some customers have deliberately left their purchases in strong sunlight as they prefer the lovely chestnut brown colour. I will look out for your updates.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
John - FYI a side experiment with a new sample and a few drops of ammonia (household dilute), left, & vinegar/acetic acid, right.  The latter has little effect but the former does immediately darken the wood.  So a vapour exposure (that is in a sealed plastic lunch box suspended over a cm or so of household ammonia), such as is traditionally used to darken oak, might get the amber colour quite quickly!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Correction - or maybe not - the ammonia-induced colouring seems to disappear upon evaporation!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
Thank you Will ! Some years ago I did experiment with bleaching the mulberry and then using a yellow spirit stain. At the time I was not particularly impressed but maybe I will revisit it.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.