Author Topic: Silly question to ask a turner  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Silly question to ask a turner
« on: August 28, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
A lady came up to me and asked if I would like some walnut. being a turner the answer took all of 1 second to answer this question. A little recycling picked this little lot up today now totally knackered. It is walnut, has been laying there for about three years. Slabs are 18" for size. Total cost a couple of wooden pens and I also came away with a bag full of plums

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Silly question to ask a turner
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
For something that's been down about 3 years, it does not seem to be badly cracked or full of shakes.
A good score there then.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:39 PM »
For something that's been down about 3 years, it does not seem to be badly cracked or full of shakes.
A good score there then.

Most of it was in one long log no way was I able to lift let alone get it into the car.

I took off about 1ft from one end then chopped into manageable lengths before cutting down the centre except for the crown which was cut a little shorted had to struggle with that piece luckily a very strong young man got it into the car for me.

There are some small shakes still present but the next few days while I cut it into usable pieces will see what it yeilds.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
Well done on getting some walnut Derek, it looks like it will have a bit of spalt and hopefully some nice grain patterns in it. Les

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Well done on getting some walnut Derek, it looks like it will have a bit of spalt and hopefully some nice grain patterns in it. Les

Hopefully Les, was going to cut it up today but rain stop play but it did give me chance to sharpen the chains and check over the chainsaw.