Author Topic: Stupidity is dangerous  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Stupidity is dangerous
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
I've been asked to post this. In my opinion just about everything wrong.https://www.facebook.com/Gereedschappelijk/videos/280639049331296/?t=3

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Stupidity is dangerous
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »
Thanks for this Steve,
I am struggling to see what the chisel is, I thought it might be a scraper with the handle held down but no one would do that would they? and I think the speed is wrong for the size of timber and the toolrest could be adjusted for height too. But where do you begin?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Looks like a carbide tipped tool everything wrong with this video.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
that's been around for a couple of months on facebook and i'm still laughing...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
Frightening, just frightening...
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:06:21 PM »
Well, wrong tool presentation, Wrong tool in my opinion, wrong speed, wrong drive should be large spikes or faceplate, no safety at all.
It worries me that social media is full of videos with pieces flying out the lathe and you get comments accepting it as something that happens. A piece of wood should not come out the lathe, if it does there is a reason and it is avoidable.
The way to learn safety is not by your mistakes but before so you can avoid them.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
I warn all my students to be careful of watching videos online I am afraid. Whilst there are some great examples on YouTube there are some really seriously dangerous ones there as well including some by turners who have become accepted. Quite worrying. The trend to have videos up on your work is fine if you know what you are doing but too many self taught turners using wrong tools badly.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 10:22:01 PM »
I am reminded of the video on you tube of the chap demonstrating why you should not use a roughing gouge on faceplate work and he ended up cutting himself. Sometimes the gene pool needs to be thinned out. And I agree with Pete's comments and will add that some people should not be allowed to turn let alone make it public.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
....But where do you begin?
I fear that with a person as stupid as this, the problem exists inside his mind and no amount of assessment of risk will make much difference to him. He should take up macrame.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
Les, knot such a good idea, he could hang himself!  ;D
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
I cannot see a single thing which would be accepted as correct practice. >:( He wasn't even looking at the piece when it came off the machine ! :o I think that the tool might be a bedan. Regarding the wider issue, one needs some appreciation of correct and safe practice in order to be able to make a judgement of things seen online before trying it oneself. How do we counter the problem of "its on the internet so it must be OK"?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »
Did anyone notice the two people watching him? One was hiding behind the band saw and peering out....he's the only wise person in the video. The other seemed completely unperturbed by it all....perhaps it's a regular occurrence in that workshop!:(
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
That is on youtube but cannot find the link. It is listed as how to get a dig in with a carbide tool

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »
I'm not even going to look. I keep getting a disaster vid recommended to me on YT and I refuse to give it a click. Having unsafe examples of anything annoys me, but people love seeing others cock up - see the continuing popularity of You've Been Framed! I'm not going to try to police it. I'm just going to keep my own nose clean, as it were.

He should take up macrame.

Nowt wrong with macrame! :P

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »
That is on youtube but cannot find the link. It is listed as how to get a dig in with a carbide tool

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

The trouble with the description is, it's not a dig in.

If you watch closely, you can see the wood wobble on the centres before it fly's off, it was loose and he did not know enough to stop cutting and get out of the way before turning it off, or it flying off.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!