Author Topic: Mallee Burr Bowl  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
Mallee Burr Bowl
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:57:25 PM »
Some time back there was a discussion about finishes on red/brown mallee.
I suggested using oil, and said I'd post a picture in the near future to show the finish.
Unfortunately I can't find the post and am not even certain that it was on the AWGB forums!
However, notwithstanding my memory issues, I've just done a bowl from what I would call brown mallee; don't know exactly what species of eucalyptus it is.
Also unfortunately, given that I said I'd use oil, I finished it with Chestnut melamine lacquer but, for what it's worth, here it is.
Dimensions: L430 x D200 x H40mm.
The gold flecks are Chestnut gilding cream.
Comments welcome but please be gentle, I've never done a piece like this before.
Duncan

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
Re: Mallee Burr Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:04:14 PM »
Looks good to me Duncan, don't think it needed the gilt cream though fella.
all the best
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »
Doesn't need the cream but what the heck, certainly doesn't do it any harm .

Pdete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »
I really like that Duncan, the beading adds to the piece without detracting from or competing with the feature of the wood. 

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
Lovely piece of wood and good, crisp detailing. I too think that the gilt cream is unnecessary and would prefer the piece without.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
A very nice piece and as above the beading adds to the bowl. I like the cream on this one as I find it highlights the little fissures within it but to make a proper assessment whether it looks good with or without I would need to see both before and after.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I too was a little unsure about the gilding but had originally intended to do more decoration and some colouring as well. By the time I decided to keep it simple, I'd already done the gilding and it seemed too much trouble to remove it. The picture makes it look much busier than it appears in the flesh but it would probably have looked better with just the bowl itself gilded, leaving the top natural.
The underside has no gilding cream and shows the natural colour.
I was a little apprehensive about using the beading tool on a burr but was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it cut.
Duncan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:36:53 PM »
It's a shame the burr fissures are all on one side, them having the gilt cream in them, makes it look one sided but overall the bowl is great.
Will look fantastic as a centrepiece in a table or dresser.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!