Author Topic: Fire Hazard  (Read 2057 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Fire Hazard
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »
I have just seen a posting on a page I am on on Facebook showing a big collection of t light holders and candle holders made from pine. walnut etc. I have posted a response pointing out the dangers and am expecting some perhaps negative response but can I just reiterate here that putting t lights or candles into  bare wood holders is seriously dangerous. Both I and others have seen wood charring and burning when this is done and yet I still see these being offered for sale at craft fairs etc. Please, please don't make these without suitable non inflammable  inserts.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:25:01 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Fire Hazard
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »
Mine always have inserts. I even sold one the weekend and the woman wanted to use it as an ashtray as it had a thick glass insert, will not stub too many fags out in it before it is full ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
Pete good on you for posting a response, now be prepared for the flack that comes with it ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
Pete,

I also say well done, but harden yourself for the 'flames' that will come back. I'm afraid that not everybody bothers to learn about the legal aspects of the things they make and sell.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
Just had a look at the site and both the original post and my response have been quietly removed which I suppose is good. Can't help wondering what the original poster thought though and whether he / she will 'reform' There were a good 20 or 30 items, all bare wood for t lights and candles so doubt they will be scrapped somehow. Probably go onto the table at some local craft fair unfortunately.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:42 PM »
Just had a few days camping on the North Norfolk coast, went into a couple of gift / artisan shops and there were several items without inserts, I gently pointed it out to the sellers who said it was down to the maker, they seemed oblivious of the risk, albeit they were displayed with LED candles inserted.......
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Just had a few days camping on the North Norfolk coast, went into a couple of gift / artisan shops and there were several items without inserts, I gently pointed it out to the sellers who said it was down to the maker, they seemed oblivious of the risk, albeit they were displayed with LED candles inserted.......

How to pass the buck. Even as sellers they are responsible