Author Topic: simple vase form  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
simple vase form
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:49:16 AM »
Have not been turning for a few months, other projects and a most excellent trip to your fine country with Mrs A.
Was aiming for a simple vase with good form so used a piece of straight grained blackwood with little feature to detract from the form. Vase is 290 mm tall and 120 diameter, finished with Danish oil.

As always, C&C welcome

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:33:28 AM by Tony_a »
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: simple vase form
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
If that is wood with "little feature" I would love to see the rest  :) Zooming in on the images shows a good finish which lets the detail in the grain show up really well. Overall the form is fine with a well finished base but on a purely personal note I prefer a hard edge at the rim. I like to see an edge/line where grain changes direction rather than wrap itself over a curved edge.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments John, . Will try turning one with a hard edge and see how it goes. Am becoming reasonably comfortable with the basics of turning and looking for advice like this that will help add a little finesse.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
A nice little vase. I sometimes like simple shapes as it allows the grain to be seen

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »
The late, great Bert marsh used to say, 'All wood will eventually be brown, it's all about the shape.'

You've still got to admire the grain in that vase though.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:55:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments Derek and Dragonfly.