Author Topic: photo stick  (Read 3293 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
photo stick
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

I am starting this Topic as I want to save all of my pictures off my laptop I am sure we all have plenty of photos on our

laptops and other devices which we do not wish to loose as I understand this you plug this USB device in click go and it does

the rest but a lot of this is Sales Blurb so I thought this Topic and answers from members may be of interest to quite a few of

us who might want to save our photos.
                                                              Regards John

John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: photo stick
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »
John,

do you have a link to the USB device you are describing?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »

I do not have any particular USB device in mind looking for advice before buying.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
USB sticks can be limiting to how many photos they will store. Might be worth looking at an external drive, something like this:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B06VVS7S94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539289645&sr=8-1&keywords=external+hard+drives+1tb+wd

some come with auto back up but there are a lot of free back ups.
Synctoy by microsoft is relatively easy to set up

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »
I agree, an external USB drive is a simple way of keeping photos offline but if the photos are precious to you. I suggest getting two such drives and copying to both so if one fails, you have a backup.

USB memory sticks are available for a reasonable price up to 128 Gbytes (bigger ones are quite pricy!) and if you say the average photo size is around 5 Mbytes, that would give you space for 25,000 photos. A 1Tbyte external hard disk would give you space for 200,000 photos. A 2Tbyte drive is only a few pounds more than the 1Tbyte so that may be the best in terms or price per unit storage.

I have an external drive for photos, videos and files etc. and a second one as a backup for the important stuff.

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
Other option is cloud storage - that way someone else looks after it, you have fewer issues with changing technology & yet they are available 24/7 worldwide.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Other option is cloud storage - that way someone else looks after it, you have fewer issues with changing technology & yet they are available 24/7 worldwide.

Yeah, and if their security fails, somebody else has free access to all your photos and files. Considering the recent history of all three big online cloud storage companies, I'd be careful with that.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
I have used usb drives and the only problem I find with them is losing the darn things. I have used an external hard drive but th\at went bad on me, mind you it was pretty old.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »

I no longer use any photo hosting style system after the way Photobucket went. I now use an external drive as a backup

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:45:22 PM »
John,

sorry, from the way you worded your question I thought you'd seen a USB stick that when plugged in, locates your 'My Photo's' directory and automatically copies it for you.

I'm with the majority above, I have several HDs in my PC, one is a dedicated back-up HD and I also use a removable HD and USBs as I feel necessary.

I have Cloud storage but limit my use of it to only those things I want to be able to access from anywhere, and never anything personal or private.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
I use an external hardrive for storage, I also use one to backup my computer just in case. They look to be a bit expensive but you can get one from Curry's for about £40.It gives me peace of mind knowing that if my computer crashes all is not lost.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »

Thank you everyone for your advice I think I will go for External Hard Drive.

Regards John
John Smith