Author Topic: Sycamore Bowl  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
Sycamore Bowl
« on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:10 PM »
It's been ages since I last posted a finished item here, but I have been practising! This is a little bowl turned from an old chuck of Sycamore at my Friday sessions. Finished with Chestnut's Wood Wax 22.

I'm rather proud of this one. ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Sycamore Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
Misa,
I’m just back from a few days away and see no-one has commented on your bowl. Noting that you are learning, please understand that this as a Critique and not Criticism.

You don’t give dimensions for the bowl, but from the chuck recess in the base I’m guessing around 120mm (5”) diameter and probably 75mm (3”) high.

You’ve made the mistake we all make in our early days of turning (and sometimes still do), you’ve tried to maximise the bowl to the available wood, which has given you the square sided shape. This has also caused you the problem of tear-out at the base of the side wall. Bowl Gouges don’t work great going round such tight curves I’m afraid.

Something with smoother, curved sides would have allowed the tool to move easier and give a more fluid shape.

Apart from the shape and the tear-out, you’ve had the courage to leave on an area of natural edge, something not normally done so early in learning to turn; we all want to make our projects as near perfect as possible, so well done on that.

Generally the abraded finish is good although again, you don’t say what finish is applied; Wax? Oil? Friction Polish etc..

Most importantly, you are proud of it, and rightly so. But I’d suggest you put this bowl safe and bring it out in a few years, when your turning skills have increased and you can use it to see how far you’ve come.
My wife brings out one of my early bowls every Christmas (and fills it with nuts for me) just so I can make the same comparison.

Well done and thank you for posting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Sycamore Bowl
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
Been away at a show so only just s[otted this. Ironically square sided bowls such as this are much harer to do than flowing, curved sided ones so I echo Bryans advice. Can I also suggest that of ypu are going to mount the work on a recess, somthing I often do, put some lines or a bit of texturing in the recess as it gives it that little bit of a finished look.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities