Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
Insurance
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but please help
I have been asked by a local worthy cause to offer an introduction to woodturning including hands-on experience as an auction item in their current fund raising drive.
Do I need any specific insurance if I were to offer this?
So far all my activities have been through the 'club' for members only and covered by the club's insurance.
I looked at Craft Insurance and got a quote for > £250. If that's the case then it's not worthwhile getting involved
Thanks in anticipation of some clarity
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »
Go to A-N and register with them. They then [provide insurance that covers you for pretty much anythiong you are likely to need for less than £50 a year to a cover of 5m.  They are specifically for afrtists and cover you for teaching demos, display etc etc etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
A-N good policy just note in the small print it does not cover wood scorching or burning of any kind which would include Pyrography.

Cheers Martin.

Martin Lawrence

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
10. claims arising from defective workmanship, or from a manufacturing defect of any goods or products supplied by you

The above concerns me as it appears a bit of a catchall, if you were teaching and a chisel you supplied a student to use caused injury would the above negate a claim??
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
Nick,
Also read the small print regarding (as I remember it) having had your work on display at exhibitions or craft shows during the preceding 12 months.
Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:11 PM »
I have insurance with A N but there standard policy covers the two main requirements of Public Liability and Product Liability if you are going to do a hands on session then you will require a policy to cover Workshops which I believe they offer but as I have never been down that route I have no idea of the extra cost.

Richard

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
Thank you all for the very prompt reply
A-N has it
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk