Author Topic: Floral Bowl  (Read 2613 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Floral Bowl
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
A new variant on the spiral bowl technique I reported here before that may be of interest.  Not perfect yet but interesting!

And no - it has only just been made and was not an entry in the Turners Company poppy competition!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Floral Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
Will I read this with interest. I do see what you are trying to do and think you may achieve the same effect by cutting right through. Once you dd the middle button it wouldlook the same. Yoy could also add a button(foot) to the outside and get the same effect. Doing it that way the glue ups would join together better and the joints would look nicer. I have to say I have never thought of doing this in the past so thank you for sharing your ideas.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
I think this does look interesting, but would probably work a lot better of the surfaces are sanded on a disc sander before gluing the red veneer in.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
BH - you may be right here, I am looking into how it might be clamped. 

FTR the joints are not as tight as I would like but they are quite smooth - if they look rough in (some of) the pictures this may be an effect of the pixelation!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
An enhancement of the original bowl by painting with dilute wood stain before finishing. Done by my daughter but taking advantage of the way the veneer layers stop the stain from seeping sideways.

FWIW I plan another bowl with cuts a little deeper so that the kerf can be held open to allow PVA and conventional gluing, followed by clamping with a special jig.  Also to use layers of red and white veneer instead of two reds to reduce the thickness of the red lines (because of the shallower angle of surface intersection compared to the spiral bowl).

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:56 PM »
I applaud your ingenuity in what appears to be a new technique, but for this to work well, the execution of the saw cuts and the subsequent gluing of the veneers into the kerf, needs to be more accurate. Nothing spoils a regular, repeating pattern more than irregularities within it, and I'm afraid that is precisely what spoils the effect for me, detracting from the ingenuity and the effort that you have doubtlessly put in.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »
A matter of taste I suppose!  flowers are not of course actually regular.  Too much symmetry tends to suggest NC machining to me rather than handmaking!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
It is interesting to discuss what is important in a piece - if I am more interested in ingenuity and less in perfect symmetry perhaps this is because of a terrible woodwork instructor at school whose idea of perfection was to get all the slots lined up on slotted screws (really and truly!).  The experience put me off for years.  Perhaps competitions should have separate awards for ingenuity and precision of manufacture (though expect the latter to start going to machines).

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
It is interesting to discuss what is important in a piece - if I am more interested in ingenuity and less in perfect symmetry perhaps this is because of a terrible woodwork instructor at school whose idea of perfection was to get all the slots lined up on slotted screws (really and truly!).  T

What you whingeing about. This is part of a mirror surroud measuring 1400mm x 1100mm with 4000 screws, each on with the slot in direct line with one of four points in the mirror. took two weeks to drill, set and line them all up. Not me thank goodness.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
My woodwork teacher was the same, they had not invented the Phillips screw then!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
to  bodrighywood = the mirror surround is impressive!  Perhaps you should have used crosshead screws for symmetry, though?

But high marks for ingenuity rather than perfection - which was the original point...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
Not my work Will, can't take credit for it. It was a design by one of the top furniture designers in the country as a prototype.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities