Author Topic: Stained Field Maple Bowl  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Stained Field Maple Bowl
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
First turning of this year. Made for our club competition.

Field Maple and measures 7 1/4" X 2" and has some light ripple in the bottom, sanded to 600grit and then wiped over with water and given a final sand of 600grit to de-nibed. Chestnut spirit stain applied with paint brushes and acrylic satin varnish was used as a sealer because I ran out of proper sealer. Final coats are Acrylic gloss lacquer. I left the bottom of the foot as plain wood.

Started this Tuesday and only just finished and ready for the competition is tomorrow, I like to cut it fine and if any stage goes wrong I go into panic mode

C & C welcome

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Stained Field Maple Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »
The form is great and there appear to be some interesting visual effects in the grain brought out by the use of colour. I do not like gloss surfaces, a personal thing I know. The photographs don't help me in that there are a lot of weird looking reflections which for me, detract from the detail. I guess that you use a backing sheet of some sort ? Maybe try a sheet of material in the foreground as well with a hole cut off centre through which the photograph can be taken. This cuts out reflections including the camera as it is off centre. I empathise with your "stress" at making pieces for club competitions, there never seems to be the time ! Very often I have to rely on finding something within my stock of turnings to match the brief for the competition !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:59:40 PM »
Looks great if somewhat glossy. Not necessarily a bad thing  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:27:34 AM by Mike313 »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »

Amazing finish you have achieved on this one Derek..... The gloss finish shows so much depth in both
       the colour and finish.  The best glazed looking finish we have seen in a long time.
       10 from us.
        Kind Regards
        Tony Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »
Thank you John, Mike, Tony and Di.

I know that not all people like the glossy look and mostly do not go for such a high gloss but occasionally I think a piece needs it. This is the first one that I have had problems taking a photo of so maybe better luck next time