Author Topic: Purple Heart and Zebrano  (Read 1501 times)

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
Purple Heart and Zebrano
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »
I am still in my first year of Woodturning and really enjoying it but I have been turning Purple Heart and Zebrano a few times recently with a few issues.
Is it critical the direction the grain of these woods is turned? as for some reason I seem to be getting catches on these woods that I don’t get on any other wood.
Thanks

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Purple Heart and Zebrano
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »
I can't speak about Zebrano, but I find Purpleheart a 'brittle' wood. I don't get catches but it does tear out quite easily, even when turning spindlewise.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Both woods need a gentle touch with sharp tools but especially zebrano. I major in spindle work and would use a skew with these for pretty much everything. Not a great fan of zebrano anyway but when I have turned it I find that it is be best turned in one direction to get a good finish. Also watch out for any splinters as they can go septic on you.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:12:04 PM »
Michael I turn a fair bit of both of these woods and do not experience many problems with them. Sharp tools are the secret, keep sharpening them as both timbers take the edge away very quickly. The other thing to be careful of, especially with Purpleheart is not to sand for too long as you will get end checks very easily. I have found that shear scraping does not help on PH either. Positive tooling is the answer.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 02:08:03 AM »
It seems the other replies have missed the question you asked! For all woods you should get in the practice of cutting with the grain so on spindles (and end grain bowls), cut from wider to narrower diameter on the outside and centre to edge when hollowing end grain. For side grain bowls, cut from centre to edge on the outside and centre to edge when hollowing the inside.

Some woods are more tolerant of abuse than others and sometimes the rules can be bent when necessary. Purpleheart and zebrano aren't amongst those!