Author Topic: Can I teach myself woodturning?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Cookster

• iron
Can I teach myself woodturning?
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi I am a newbie and would like to start turning I have quite a bit of woodworking kit but haven't purchased a lathe as yet as I live in rural Andalusia and would probably have to get one from the UK and as I said in a previous post we have lot's of olive wood here.

My question is, is turning something I can teach myself? I am very keen but there are no resources where we live what so ever, I have done a lot of research and have a good idea of what kit I need and what's involved, I know there's a lot of skilled turners on here so it would be good to know how you started out and how long it took to learn these new skills.

My better half has already expressed her doubts, like hope this is't another of your five minute wonder etc.... (you know the score)

Cheers

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Can I teach myself woodturning?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:40 AM »
As it would be difficult for you have Tuition a good start would me to get the Mark baker book from Amazon Woodturning a Craftsmans Guide it is very well written backed up with a three hour DVD

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »
Thanks George will check it out.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
Hi

I started on the lathe with no tuition or help, advice whatsoever. I made
many many mistakes, some I learned from and some I did'nt. But, I
had a great appetite for continuing because I found the craft so
inspiring.

I was surprised at how much equipment I needed, although,
looking back, with advice I would have needed much less. Also, the
likes of this forum, youtube and the help available, I would have
progressed much faster with far fewer cut fingers and bits of wood
hitting the ceiling !!!

My advice would be, to absorb as much of the knowledge available
on the web, but the biggie is......don't bite off more than you
can chew.!!!!! It is so easy once you have turned your first scrap
bit of 2x2 into something almost round, to start thinking
about deep vases and platters. Set your sights on something
simple to start with, something, hopefully, that you can offer
to the other half and say 'This stick wot I have toiled,
persevered, spent long sleepness nights, and days at A & E,
is for you my precious, with all my love'.....how could
she resist !!!!!!!

So, the answer to your question is Yes, but with a little
help from your friends !!!

Good Luck Matey, go for it !!!!!!

Offline davej

• iron
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
Hi
I have been turning for about 4 years now, I have had no teaching I learnt as I went along. I enjoy turning very much and my work is acceptable but not top of the range. I do attend show's and ask questions and have learnt a lot this way. I answer to your question Then yes you can teach your self to turn. As with all things if you have natural ability and good general manual skills then you can do most things to a certain standard but if you want to be as good as the best then you will need a teacher. Just be careful on lathe and stay safe.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
Hello Cookster,
I would like to echo the "go for it" sentiment as that is the way I worked. I did feel very confident though as I felt I had transferable skills and head spent ages making stuff. I would also like to echo the advice to look at books and DVDs from the established cognoscenti like Mark Baker and Glen Lucas. There is a wealth of stuff on You Tube BUT you need to be able to judge that which is good advice and that which is not. Approach the craft with respect for its capacity to harm and you should be fine.
I met some Spanish Woodturners at last year's AWGB event and also spoke to UK demonstrators who have demonstrated in Spain (Galicia I think). There is also a Turn Spain website which can be googled. I don't know Spain or its geography to have any idea of proximity etc.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »
I am a newbie so here's my truppence worth: I'm assuming you are a British ex-pat - if I am correct, I guess you get back to the UK from time to time. When you are planning your next trip, I would advise you to book a day or two days classes with a professional. They most likely can design a course to suit exactly what you want/need depending on how you have progressed in the meantime.
If you are using YouTube, try to follow a professional turner, rather than a hobbyist, so that anything you learn is 'safe practice'.
And in the meantime, make sure you research the safety aspects of woodturning and ensure you have appropriate PPE before you start to turn on the lathe.
At the very start, I found I really benefitted from turning lots of 'practice pieces' (as distinct from trying to turn candlesticks or whatever) repeating the same cuts over and over to build up familiarity with the tools and what you can do with them. A few sessions like that helped me before I started to turn 'items'.
As regards getting a lathe, if you are buying new from the UK, I read on here that Axminster have delivered lathes to Europe for customers, other suppliers probably do too.
Best of luck :)

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Thanks All

Great advice and inspiration I will take all this on board and keep you posted.

Cheers

Cookster

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »
Around 20 years ago I started woodturning. I knew nobody else who did it and nowhere to go for a course so I taught myself. There were no web forums, youtube etc. and very few websites with anything useful. The best I could find online was a usenet group which was pretty much text only but was a useful place to follow discussions and ask questions.
I learnt from my mistakes, found a couple of books and videos (I found Richard Raffan and Del Stubbs excellent) and eventually found out about the magazines available, trade shows etc. and absorbed as much as I could from all those.
So in answer to your question, yes it's possible to learn in isolation but I would say it takes a lot longer!

Don't forget the AWGB has overseas membership and as a member you are entitled to apply for any courses we offer free of charge.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
Around 20 years ago I started woodturning. I knew nobody else who did it and nowhere to go for a course so I taught myself. There were no web forums, youtube etc. and very few websites with anything useful. The best I could find online was a usenet group which was pretty much text only but was a useful place to follow discussions and ask questions.
I learnt from my mistakes, found a couple of books and videos (I found Richard Raffan and Del Stubbs excellent) and eventually found out about the magazines available, trade shows etc. and absorbed as much as I could from all those.
So in answer to your question, yes it's possible to learn in isolation but I would say it takes a lot longer!

Don't forget the AWGB has overseas membership and as a member you are entitled to apply for any courses we offer free of charge.
I volunteer to go to Andalusia and run a training course!

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »

You'll need someone to help you carry the equipment.

I volunteer !!!!!!!

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
Thanks Paul may thanks for your input been looking at your gallery, very impressive mate.

Yes there is a lot more content online these days which I have been watching youtube etc... tend to watch the British turners and as you say it may take me longer but being kind of semi retired I have the time now.

And yes guys inland Andalusia is a lovely place we live in the Cordoba region a stunning area, very hot in the summer, well worth a visit, as far as I know I don't think their are many turners here must be a few on Brits on the coast who dabble.

Cheers

Cookster

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »

You'll need someone to help you carry the equipment.

I volunteer !!!!!!!
Just need to set the date and find the funding then Jim (oh yes and ask permission from SWMBO)

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »

SWMBO is coming with us - we'll need her to carry the really heavy stuff !!!!

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D