Author Topic: Sealing bark ?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline windfall

• copper
Sealing bark ?
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
I have some nice copper birch branches, they are not very thick, but I was thinking of making some tealight holders from them. The bark is a gorgeous deep copper colour, so I thought I’d try a natural edge piece. What do people recommend for sealing the bark into place?
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Sealing bark ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
If it is loose give a coat of sanding sealer then pour some low viscosity CA glue into the gap betewwen the bark and the wood. Still no guarantee it won't come off mind. If you are making the t light holder from the branch without turnig it at all then you have most chance of this working.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »
If it is loose give a coat of sanding sealer then pour some low viscosity CA glue into the gap betewwen the bark and the wood. Still no guarantee it won't come off mind. If you are making the t light holder from the branch without turnig it at all then you have most chance of this working.

Pete

Thanks for the reply, I did attempt to turn one to see how it would go and the bark flayed my hand like a rebellious sailor lol. I may attempt a couple of coats of PVA before turning as an experiment. Later this year when I have some money for equipment I might try encasing it in clear resin then turning it. Other than that without putting it on the lathe its difficult to get the two ends square.
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
When using CA glue like this try 'Squiggling' it on to the soft layer between bark and wood (the Cambium). The glue will discolour the area it touches so a straight line (or bead) will show up whereas a squiggle will be overlooked as a natural marking within the timber. A finishing cut after applying the glue will also help to minimise discolouration.

Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »
When using CA glue like this try 'Squiggling' it on to the soft layer between bark and wood (the Cambium). The glue will discolour the area it touches so a straight line (or bead) will show up whereas a squiggle will be overlooked as a natural marking within the timber. A finishing cut after applying the glue will also help to minimise discolouration.

Brian

That's why I suggested giving a coat of sanding sealer first or even polish will work, stops the discolouration. I use CA glue a lot of infilling with metal and glass powdwers and find that the sealer or polish work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »

Brian

That's why I suggested giving a coat of sanding sealer first or even polish will work, stops the discolouration. I use CA glue a lot of infilling with metal and glass powdwers and find that the sealer or polish work.

Pete

I was thinking of getting some satin varnish and trying that out, like all things with me I like the the search and experimentation the most :)