Author Topic: Autumn  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Autumn
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
I was not sure about the pattern to start with but when applying the last coat of finish a friend came in and asked how much when I told them they brought it before the varnish had dried need I have worried.
This measures 8" X 2" made from field maple sprayed with ebonising spray and the leaves were done with Jo Sonja iridescent paints and then acrylic satin spray. I turned and sanded the three little feet to help lift this piece rather than my usual flat type bottom
C and C welcome

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Autumn
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
I'm glad you kept it long enough to photograph anyway.

An interesting effect, I can see all sorts of natural things being used to impress design onto bowl rims having seen this.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:26:56 PM »
I'm glad you kept it long enough to photograph anyway.

An interesting effect, I can see all sorts of natural things being used to impress design onto bowl rims having seen this.

Thank you Bryan no leaves where harmed in the making of this ;D

The leaves are printed using the age old method of printing using a potato, remember the kids covered in paint after having a go at this well I managed it without covering myself ;) ;) ;)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:20 AM »
A very striking effect and good that you took the trouble to make the potato cuts such that they resemble natural leaf shapes. How did you attach the feet?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
A very striking effect and good that you took the trouble to make the potato cuts such that they resemble natural leaf shapes. How did you attach the feet?
Les

Thank you Les.

The feet were turned into the bottom as a ring and the waste between each one removed before plenty of sanding to blend everything together

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »
The feet were turned into the bottom as a ring and the waste between each one removed before plenty of sanding to blend everything together

...the fact that I didn't spot that is testimony to the fact that you did a good job of blending it all.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
Really like the feet idea, especially in picture 2 where they cant be seen, but the bowl hovers above the shadow. excellent work.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)