Author Topic: Cracks after turning. PLEASE HELP!  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Wayne39uk

• iron
Re: Cracks after turning. PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
Thanks again for all your help guys. Had no idea about moisture meters (told you I was a newbie), purchased one today. The main type of wood ive been using has actually been Yew, so interesting to see a few of you saying its a bit prone to cracks. Im not at the level of turning bowls just yet, have only really been making bases for LED night lights. Tried to upload a pic just now but the file size was too big.
I know this isn't related to my original question but do any of you have contact details for reliable log/blank sellers?
Really am so happy with the amount of help ive received from you all in such a short space of time.
 :)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »
Hello Wayne

My approach to this problem (after rough turning) is not to use a moisture meter but to weigh the wood weekly.  As long as the wood is losing weight then you know it still contains excess water.  When there is no further change then the moisture content is in equilibrium with the atmospheric moisture content and the wood is ready for final turning. 

I have a web page (ACCESS HERE) dedicated to this approach which hopefully may be of help. 

Tim

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »

I know this isn't related to my original question but do any of you have contact details for reliable log/blank sellers?

Have a look at Home of Wood

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
Wayne, yew is prone to cracking if you over heat it, sanding can make the wood hot enough to get 'crazing' lots of minor cracks which you cannot sand out!
It might help to slow the work don when sanding.
As has been said earlier, make sure the wood is properly dried before turning.
Ron

Offline pink

• iron
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
Hi Wayne
You may find this article useful: http://aawcontentsource.org/aaw_cs1_pdf/AW3004p17-19.pdf
Good luck!
Sally

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
I had wood I took from Cornwall (a damp county) to Wiltshire( inland) that split long after being turned and dried.

As a beginner, I didn't know that could happen. Excuse my ignorance (don't laugh) but what happens if someone buys a bowl whilst on holidays in Cornwall and then takes it home to Wiltshire or any other drier county?
Mike you should never buy a bowl in Cornwall to take to Wiltshire there are plenty of turners in Wiltshire that can make a bowl for you.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
Mike you should never buy a bowl in Cornwall to take to Wiltshire there are plenty of turners in Wiltshire that can make a bowl for you.

I do far worse than that, I photograph wood things casually capturing my glasses in shot, then using the glasses for scale I make my own... latest was a foot stool from DFS  ;) Have also stolen many wood turners designs  ::)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:32:21 AM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 01:52:45 AM »
 :) :) :)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
All good advice which I'm not going to repeat but the one thing no-one has mentioned so far is the inclusion of the pith within your projects. The pith is the growing centre of the tree..... not always the measured centre!.... and the wood surrounding it has ALL got to shrink. Result? Cracks; usually star shaped but occasionally curving around the pith.
There you are, something else to consider. Good fun being a learner-woody isn't it!!!
All the best
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
Is there any chance of posting an image of one of the pieces with the cracks in. there are so many different sorts of cracks that can appear in wood, a picture might enable us to help you better.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!