Author Topic: club demo  (Read 1494 times)

Offline wider

• gold
club demo
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:10 PM »
last month I ended up doing our club demo as the person doing it ended up losing his voice. I have only just got round to finishing of sanding and texturing the wings. here is the photos of it. I turned a winged bowl and lid with finial. on getting this bowl home I decided to texture it I ended up doing both the top and underneath of the wings. This is the type of demo I will be doing at Birstall woodturners Wednesday and then at Wear valley on the Monday after. all comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: club demo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
Wider,
maybe a little late to comment but I will anyway.

The overall shape of the round part of the bowl and lid is a little off. The diameter of the lid is slightly greater than the bowl and if you are going to make a center balanced form, it must balance equally on both sides.

The finial is also unbalanced, the foot to the sphere should be a skew cut, not a curved area, the teardrop has an angle in it where the shape changes, it should flow naturally.

However, the square edge to the bowl is wonderfully even in thickness and the decoration, texturing is just subtle enough to add a lot of interest without overpowering it.

Lastly, well done for stepping up on the night. Oh that more club members would be prepared to stand up in front of their clubs and show a little of what they can do.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!