Author Topic: Pens of pewter/wood  (Read 1600 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Pens of pewter/wood
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
A few pens with pewter as well as wood in the blanks.  A different effect.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Pens of pewter/wood
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »
Nice work!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
Pens aren't my thing, although I can appreciate good work.

But reading the article, well done on working out how to remove pewter dust from the wood, I've not seen that method written down anywhere before.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:14:01 AM »
An afterthought - a pen in rosewood and malachite.  This was done by squaring up malachite pieces on a disk sander, gluing to a wood base with epoxy and then re-sanding and gluing another wood piece on top.  This works but the malachite is quite brittle and finishing used a lot of sanding!  I will try the fairly expensive 'Tru-stone' acrylic/malachite blanks which seem only available in the US (UK equivalents are cheaper but just look like green plastic to me!).  Pics of the completed pen and a part-glued stage attached. 

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
One more item for this thread - pics of some items made from one blank of 'tru-stone' malachite (85% stone-in-acrylic).  One blank is shown plus 3 items made from the other (I bought 2 blanks).  I got these from Penn industries in the US - no problem but already quite expensive and of course with import duty on delivery (which was fairly quick).  The rather convincing malachite-like patterning is presumably made during manufacture.  They smell (on machining) and polish like acrylic (so no coating) and finish well (as does actual malachite of course).  I am not an acrylic blank user but these are quite hard and need repeated tool sharpening, but otherwise turn well.  The result does really look like malachite!

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
That's really interesting.  I'm very much interested in turning naturally occurring minerals so pictured for comparison is a pen turned from alabaster picked up from a beach in Somerset together with a picture of where it was collected.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
TP - fascinating and looks good!