General Category > General Discussion

Turning tools availability

<< < (2/4) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Vesta have you joined the Bristol woodturning club? I am sure some of there members (some of who visit this site regularly)will have good second hand ones to dispose of.

Vestas:
Hi all
Many thanks for the replies.

My folks live two miles from Martock so I’m popping down to “visit” them tomorrow - and I might just happen to pop to Yandles  ;)
I will join the Bristol group def
Cheers all
Mike

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on April 08, 2019, 08:16:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 08, 2019, 04:00:12 PM ---Axminster Cardiff is probably closest, but my preference for choice is Yandles as they tend to have more to pick through. Makes it worth the hour drive to get there, my preference is for Robert Sorby tools, which they stock. but there is nobody that has a range of woodturning  bits you can pick through

Ashley Isles used to have an outlet but pretty sure that is online only these days. 

May be worth picking your day depending on what is on... https://www.yandles.co.uk/events or you are stuck with the online option (won't be legal to buy chisels by post if the current legislation passes).

--- End quote ---
I have to question the comment about not being legal to buy woodturning tools by post, if you read through the legislation that is being suggested, and I have read every word of it, it will be illegal to buy them by post if you are under the age of 18. So those of us that are older should not be breaking the law.

--- End quote ---

The trap is that businesses won't be able to post to residential addresses, and as a lot of us are hobby turners we want our tools sent to our homes. Though it is unlikely to get any parliament time for a while...

As I discussed with my MP, the chances of anyone spending £40 + on a bowl gouge to use as a weapon, when they can buy a screwdriver from poundland and sharpen it is rather a long stretch of credulity.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 08, 2019, 09:08:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on April 08, 2019, 08:16:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 08, 2019, 04:00:12 PM ---Axminster Cardiff is probably closest, but my preference for choice is Yandles as they tend to have more to pick through. Makes it worth the hour drive to get there, my preference is for Robert Sorby tools, which they stock. but there is nobody that has a range of woodturning  bits you can pick through

Ashley Isles used to have an outlet but pretty sure that is online only these days. 

May be worth picking your day depending on what is on... https://www.yandles.co.uk/events or you are stuck with the online option (won't be legal to buy chisels by post if the current legislation passes).

--- End quote ---
I have to question the comment about not being legal to buy woodturning tools by post, if you read through the legislation that is being suggested, and I have read every word of it, it will be illegal to buy them by post if you are under the age of 18. So those of us that are older should not be breaking the law.

--- End quote ---

The trap is that businesses won't be able to post to residential addresses, and as a lot of us are hobby turners we want our tools sent to our homes. Though it is unlikely to get any parliament time for a while...

As I discussed with my MP, the chances of anyone spending £40 + on a bowl gouge to use as a weapon, when they can buy a screwdriver from poundland and sharpen it is rather a long stretch of credulity.

--- End quote ---
Holding a bowl gouge by the handle will give you a better swing than a screwdriver for beating the MPs over the head with ;D ;D ;D

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Vestas on April 08, 2019, 08:35:52 PM ---Hi all
Many thanks for the replies.

My folks live two miles from Martock so I’m popping down to “visit” them tomorrow - and I might just happen to pop to Yandles  ;)
I will join the Bristol group def
Cheers all
Mike

--- End quote ---

Think your folks may be getting quite a few visits in the coming years!!!  Last Friday of the Month there is a late opening with a demo of something and some discounts. Try to restrict what you spend! sent one of the guys down to pick up some timber for the Journeyman course he got hooked on a machine and spent a fortune!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version