General Category > General Discussion

Scalloped bowl - another method

<< < (2/6) > >>

willstewart:
Thanks all and do not worry!  I noticed long ago that whilst we would all like to see interesting objects beautifully made some of us are more concerned about the former and some more about the latter!  Both approaches have merit - but now someone can try making my bowl better than me!

FTR a classic example is removing chucking points - can be a good idea but non-woodturners rarely realise what they are and it often seems unnecessary (and sometimes it is useful to be able to re-finish).

fuzzyturns:
George represents those members of this forum that will accept nothing but the highest standards. Having been his student, I can vouch for that from personal experience.
So, although there is certainly some merit in presenting new ideas here, even if they need a lot more work, there is also something to be said for not presenting things prematurely. And I think that is what happened here. I will be the first to acknowledge that getting these joints just right is a very troublesome affair, and probably ultimately only possible with a jig for a mill or a radial arm saw or something similar. But George does have a point, and I think Will should try again, and this time with less focus on the novelty and concept, and a little more focus on the execution and final result.

On the subject of leaving chucking points on finished items: As far as I am concerned that is an absolute no-can-do. There is always a way you can remount a finished piece, which completely removes the need to leave a chucking point. And unless you are total wizard in shape, it always looks ugly.

GBF:
This is a good example of why I do not use these Forums anymore the lack of honesty.
This is obviously very poorly made and you are doing the maker no favours by saying otherwise.
If this was just a little bit poor you could offer constructive critique but it is not.

Regards George

GBF:
That is not quite true Fuzzy  Iaccept that we all have to learn ,but when something is put up that is very poor I think it is olmost an insult to other members.
Surely before you put stuff up here for others to comment on it should be something like right or at least a damn good effort.
I sugest some would be Woodturners need to learn the basics before they try the clever stuff.
This is the first time I have looked at this Forum for a long time maybe I should not have bothered I will probably get another ban for being honest

Regards George

Duncan A:
Will,
As others have noted, it needs more work but I find the idea very interesting and thank you for posting a description of your technique - and for being brave enough to post the finished article for critique.

Each to their own but, I for one, find such posts interesting even though I would probably not attempt something as complex as that myself. Keep them coming!
Duncan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version