General Category > General Discussion

Furneral urns

(1/3) > >>

John:
Has any one made a funeral urn.
I need some rough sizes to enable me to make an urn.
Have to make it quickly as my wifes funeral is next week.
Our family have suggested that it would nice to have one made of Magnolia as this was one of her favourite trees. I have had a blank for several years which came from a tree in our road.
John

bodrighywood:
I have made several. Basically it needs to have a capacity of around 200 cubic inches. Shape and design is purely a matter of personal choice. How tight the lid is depends on what will be done with the deceased ashes, scattered, buried?  The ones I have put here were for the same person but the smaller one held ashes for scattering abroad whilst the larger one was the main one. Larger one had a capacity of 150 cu.in and the smaller one 75 cu in.

Hope that helps a bit.

John:
Thanks Pete
Thats the sort of idea that I had
John

Bryan Milham:
I've never made one but have read up on an American who makers them. To make them air tight he uses a 4" white plastic plumbing screw joint. You can cut most of it away as it's only the screw and washer part you need. These can be recessed into the wood and hidden.

BrianH:
I have made 3 for close members of my family. I took advice from everywhere including the local crematorium. Although I followed the advice and the advised capacities increased each time none of mine had a large enough capacity to hold all the ashes. 3 litres was the last size I was given and I measured the capacity with rice. I glued the lids on but 1 had a carving on the top and so was loaded through the bottom.
Turning with tears in your eyes is also not good for your concentration but the sense of satisfaction afterwards is truly immense.
I'm sorry for your loss and wish you all the best with the project.
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version