General Category > General Discussion

Help

(1/3) > >>

Vestas:
Hi see the attached pic piece of lime.
It has a large crack issue - advice please - I’ve tried filling it with superglue - anything else? In the bin ??

Lazurus:
colored resin fill then turn to finish?

Vestas:
Thanks for reply a ive not used resin yet but have seen a few videos etc of it being used - can amyone recommend a brand ?

Les Symonds:
First and foremost, superglue is not a filler.
It's not easy to see from the picture, just how wide the crack is, but try using resin, as Lazarus mentioned, in the following way....

* ...clean out the crack, especially near to the surface
* mix up some 2-part epoxy (Araldite, or better still, a cheaper alternative like 151)
* use a filler to give body to the resin...this could be small shavings and dust from your piece of work, dried coffee grounds, metal powders such as copper or bronze, or any other filler you can think of, but work quickly because that resin's going to harden soon
* pack the crack with the resin and body filler mix until it stands proud of the surface
* set aside to dry....the resin may well go off in 10 minutes, but it's not fully hard for some time longer. Experiment with how long your particular brand of epoxy needs
* using sharp tools, cut the excess resin back, top up the filled crack if any surface voids are visible, repeat the cutting back
* abrade to a finish
The list of fillers is endless...be imaginative!
Les

Twisted Trees:
What Les said...

that looks like a bark inclusion to me, but hard to tell scale. They add interest to the finished piece, but can be unstable and hard to work with.

As you know I use a bean to cup coffee machine, and that makes a great filler for this colouration, if it is smaller than it looks then something finer e.g. metal powder or sawdust, next time you are around or remind me before the club night and I will give you a bag out of the bottom of the bandsaw, it is the perfect grain size!

as a general rule, but not always followed

* Very small hairline cracks I use CA glue with metal powder or fine sawdust
* medium cracks around 2 or 3mm I use epoxy with appropriate filler
* larger and I really want to turn it, I may use fiberglass resin instead of epoxy
* I have not done it but have seen great stuff done with coloured crystic resin
Epoxy needs at least 8 hours probably 24 before you attempt to turn it, I am told Crystic may need a month.

Some caution needs to be applied, if the split is looking like it will reach your chuck, expansion or contraction it will at some point leave the lathe and aim for your head! I am not saying never turn it, but make sure it is worth the risk, keep the speed reasonable, and be certain your face shield is on properly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version